Essay, Pages 1 (191 words)
What challenges does South Africa face today as a democracy? Check all that apply.
- high poverty and high unemployment rates
- unequal access to transportation and technology
Which list correctly orders events in the rise and fall of apartheid in South Africa?
- The Population Registration Act was signed.
- The Soweto Uprising sparked more protests.
- Frederik W. de Klerk brought about reforms.
- Nelson Mandela became the nation’s president.
After returning to South Africa from Algeria in 1964, Nelson Mandela was arrested and imprisoned.
What type of government did European settlers create in South Africa in 1909? a parliamentary government that excluded many citizens
South Africa’s Population Registration Act of 1950 created a race-based classification system.
The African National Congress was founded to unite non-white South Africans and further their cause.
During the colonial era, South African society became divided based on race.
How did the international community respond to South Africa’s policies in the 1980s? by refusing to buy South African goods
In the early 1900s, European settlers in South Africa created a system of segregation that split society.
The movement against apartheid in South Africa was non-violent at first but became militant.