Essay, Pages 5 (1007 words)
When you first think of the word “Computer”, you most likely think of a laptop or desktop Computer, but there are many other different kinds of computers. For example, the smartphone in your pocket is a computer; your tablet on your desk is a computer. The possibilities are endless, but do you think our reliance on these electronics is getting a little out of hand.
What does Computer mean?
A computer is a machine or device that performs processes, calculations and operations based on instructions provided by a software or hardware program.
Application of computers in our lives.
Computer is a very effective tool which can be used for teaching and learning, result processing, student data processing, question preparation, handouts and note preparation, etc. and also online education. Many universities provide online education through internet. The learning materials are packed in CD-ROM with interactive multimedia. The CAL (Computer Aided Learning), CAI (Computer Aided Instruction), multiple choice examination paper, result processing are done through internet.
Different types of entertainment fields such as multimedia, film making with animation, graphics, audio and visual design are done with the help of computer.
GPS or Global Positioning System. This technology used to be a military secret which was applied to covert operations. When the technology was introduced to the masses, it was a revelation. Commercial planes, recreational sports that require location and other positioning applications take advantage of GPS. Portable GPS systems used to be a separate device and a bit expensive, now smart phones and cars have inbuilt GPS.
When was the last time you decided to call someone just to talk or have a conversation for hours? Most of our remote interactions today are done through text messages, emails and through online messaging apps and platforms. Some people hate to admit it, but there are times that it’s quicker and easier to just use emoticons than to actually say the words they represent. It can be annoying to the receiver though, because they will think that you’re too lazy to even type the things that you need to say. Another thing that is fast disappearing is compassion behind these artificial representations of human emotion through chat platforms. Try calling someone. You might even enjoy it!
Years ago, you had to physically go and spend time in the library to look for specific books to get your specific answers to your specific questions. Now we have Google, Wikipedia, YouTube and other knowledge-based websites. Plus, there are thousands of reference books that are scanned and converted to a digital format and uploaded to the internet.
Google, the popular search engine, has made the process of finding answers very easy. But still for many, nothing beats the feel and smell of buying a new book and reading it wherever you please.
Signs That a Person is too Dependent on Technology
Technology is a wonderful thing and there is no doubt that we’re currently living in the age of technological advancements. It should come as no surprise that almost every aspect of our lives are now evidently becoming dependent on these complex devices. There is no question that such high-tech devices have enriched our lives and made everything easy. All the advantages are there and we are reaping the benefits, but all too often we overlook the negative effects of technology dependency. Below are some of the signs of technology dependency.
- No Internet, No Work
- Using Calculators For Simple Calculations
- You Don’t Remember Phone Numbers Anymore
- Advantage of depending on computers
- Computer has made a very vital impact on society. It has changed the way of life. The use of computer technology has affected every field of life. People are using computers to perform different tasks quickly and easily. The use of computers makes different task easier. It also saves time and effort and reduces the overall cost to complete a particular task.
- People are using computers for paying their bills, managing their home budgets or simply having some break and watching a movie, listening to songs or playing computer games. Online services like skype or social media websites are used for communication and information sharing purposes.
- Computer can be used as a great educational tool. Students can have access to all sort of information on the internet. Some great websites like Wikipedia, Khan’s Academy, Code Academy, Byte-Notes provides free resources for students & professionals.
- Moreover, the computer is being used in every field of life such as medical, business, industry, airline and weather forecasting
Disadvantage of depending on computers
- Different tasks are performed automatically by using computers. It reduces the need of people and increases unemployment in society.
- Wastage of time and energy:
- Many people use computers without positive purpose. They play games and chat for a long period of time. It causes wastage of time and energy. Young generation is now spending more time on the social media websites like Facebook, Twitter etc or texting their friends all night through smartphones which is bad for both studies and their health. And it also has adverse effects on the social life.
- Data Security:
- The data stored on a computer can be accessed by unauthorized persons through networks. It has created serious problems for the data security.
The computers are used to store personal data of the people. The privacy of a person can be violated if the personal and confidential records are not protected properly.
The improper and prolonged use of computer can results in injuries or disorders of hands, wrists, elbows, eyes, necks and back. The users can avoid health risks by using the computer in proper position. They must also take regular breaks while using the computer for longer period of time. It is recommended to take a couple of minutes break after 30 minutes of computer usage.
People use the computer for negative activities. They hack the credit card numbers of the people and misuse them or they can steal important data from big organizations.