Application of a Communicative Competence Skill Essay
Application of a Communicative Competence Skill
I will first describe the components of Communicative Competence then the four spheres of Multiliteracies Pedagogy then conclude by applying a skill.
Communicative Competence has five components:
1. Discourse Competence: The selection, sequencing, and arrangement of words, structures and utterances to achieve a unified spoken or written text. Examples of Discourse Competence skills:
2. Linguistic Competence: The basic elements of language:
3. Actional Competence: Conveying and understanding speech acts.
Examples of Actional Competence skills:
A. Interpersonal Exchange
4. Sociocultural Competence: The knowledge of how to communicate appropriately within the social and cultural context of communication. Examples of Sociocultural Competence skills:
A. Social Contextual Factors
B. Stylistic Appropriateness Factors
C. Cultural Factors
5. Strategic Competence: The knowledge of communication strategies and how to use them. Examples of Strategic Competence skills:
A. Avoidance or reduction strategies.
B. Achievement or compensatory strategies.
C. Interactional strategies.
The Multiletracies Pedagogy model:
1. Situated Practice: It provides immersion for students to develop familiarity for the activities and learn by doing.
2. Overt Instruction: It provides direct information from the teacher to let the students learn the important features of the learning activities and focus on the structure (grammar) of the activities.
3. Discourse Analysis: It helps students analyze their activities and know how to benefit best from the materials.
4. Transformed Practice: it give an opportunity for students to use what they learned in new situations.
Applying the model
I chose service encounters to apply to the multileteracies pedagogy model: 1. Situated Practice: show the students a service encounter on how to order in a restaurant or book a room in a hotel via video or a role play.
2. Discourse Analysis: Let the students have a discussion on how to do service encounters well and what kind of language they should use.
3. Overt Instruction: Explain the structures and expressions used in service encounters, for example the use of “ I want …, please” and “How much …?”
4. Transformed practice: Have the students do a role play as employee at a travel agency and a client, or a waiter and a customer. Student can also record a service encounter on the phone or a digital recorder calling for a takeout meal or the mobile service company to file a complaint
University/College: University of Chicago
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 18 October 2016
Let us write you a custom essay sample on Application of a Communicative Competence Skill
for only $16.38 $13.9/page