1. Discuss the unique selling point of the Acorn House Restaurant.
The unique selling point of the Acorn House Restaurant (AHR) is this is an ecofriendly restaurant. The earth pollution is beginning increasing then Acorn House is an exciting new restaurant venture that can save our earth and aims to be ‘carbon neutral’. AHR team has gone to great lengths to ensure each decision has a minimum impact on the environment. Nowadays people also have improve their environmental awareness, the ecofriendly became the unique selling point of Acorn House Restaurant. For example, AHR had always recycled, tried to conserve energy in their own homes, organic materials and use ethical product. AHR will purchase organic food and all vegetables from sustainable farmers, they will avoid industrial faming and they also will identify the meat suppliers that use positive animal husbandry. AHR are preferred to import their material, cutlery and so on by boat rather than plane because boat can save on excess of transportation.
Besides that, customers also can discover the ecofriendly concept from the restaurant design, furniture, and cutlery and so on. The furniture such as tables is made from sustainable Norwegian wood and the chair tops are recycled plastic, whilst the chair legs are 80% recycled stainless steel. In addition, the take-away packaging is from recycled materials and fully biodegradable, the kitchen pass is made from recycled resin plastic, glasses are from recycled glass and even the wall paint is organic to ensure minimum impact on the environment and the menus are printed on re-cycled paper using vegetable ink.
AHR are the restaurants that use all the fresh produce are sustainable and locally sourced and seasonality menu, it is because their dish is need to dependent on fresh produce available. AHR also was reducing wastage as much as possible therefore AHR put the choice back to consumer by allowing them certain control on portion quantity. Lastly, Belu is supplied the bottled water at AHR which make bottles from biodegradable corn and gives all of its profits to clean-water projects.
2. Perform a cost-benefit analysis for each of the key areas of the AHR.
-Make sure maximize energy efficiency( because they have tried to conserve energy in their own homes) -environmental awareness ( thought looking the design of restaurants will get the concept)
-high cost in renovation about the ecofriendly concept( it is because now less restaurant doing this concept)
-restaurant design is hard ( because it need straight forward bring the consumer to understanding AHR concept) Equipment, furniture and fixture
-furniture are made from sustainable material but it is recycled material – all of the equipment, furniture and fixture can minimum impact on the environment such as take-away packaging is from recycled materials and fully biodegradable -price of recycled material are more cheaper
– The cost of material that can fully biodegradable are more expensive -High risk in boat transportation because it will take lengthy time to delivery and sea conditions is hard to estimate.
– The cost to custom make the furniture is high
-each dish is depended on fresh produce available
-customers can make their choice in controlling the portion of quantity
– hard to adjust the portion of food because let customers choice
– organic food are expensive than industrial faming food
-menu are keep changing because of depended on the fresh produce available Use of suppliers
-All food is organic and all vegetables are purchased from sustainable farmers
-buy from local small independent suppliers (the food are more fresh) -risk of lacking stock since AHR is avoids buying with those industrial farming
-the preparation time for the menu may short because need make sure which fresh produce available first
3. Discuss the implications of portion control management?
Portion control management is very important to a restaurant because it is the factor keeping your business profitable. This is because when restaurant set the portion of dish, the dish cost in controllable and check the overall restaurant profits. Portion control refers to the setting the fixed number of servings from a recipe and serving the right amount to customers All the meal portion must be standard and same such as two spoon corn, all the dish also same. By controlling restaurant portions not only keep your food costs in line also ensure that customers will receive consistency when they order their favorite meal.
For the case study, AHR want reducing wastage as much as possible therefore AHR put the choice back to consumer by allowing them certain control on portion quantity. This portion control can reduce the customer complaint about the portion. AHR portion control actually is a best way because the main advantage is reducing wasting fast. For example, the customers just can eat 1 slide watermelon but the portion is 2, it will waste 1 slide or it can let children customers can get the suitable portion. Therefore, AHR portion control can solve those problems. It also can controllable the costs by giving customers choose reduce portion half, quarter and so on.
4. Conduct a SWOT analysis for AHR.
-ecofriendly to the environment
– conserve energy
-selling fresh food
– menu always change( fresh)
-customers can choose their portion size to reducing wasting food
-relay on seasonal produces
-need more labor because it still new restaurant venture, need more staff to develop
-restaurants cannot fixe the dish because dish is depended on fresh produce available
-giving the motivation and training for the young chef to let them able to manage wastes
-AHR also can provide information and urge to furniture manufacture and so on to produce eco product -teach and invite other restaurant to so environmental friendly business
-lose customers because of its seasonal menus
5. Would the concept work for a large chain of restaurants? What are the arguments for and against? I think that the concept work for a large chain of restaurants is work due to people also have improve their environmental awareness, customers also know about the important of ecofriendly. Besides that, customers also tend to having healthy life then organic food will be their choice. The supply of food will be enough because AHR is buying the fresh food from local small independent suppliers and for the organic vegetables can find out more sustainable farmers supply food to the chain. Due to many cases of unsafe food and AHR will avoid industrial faming and they also will identify the meat suppliers that use positive animal husbandry, customers will awareness that price rate of AHR is reasonable and AHR have high opportunity to grow.
AHR also let customers to choose their portion size in order to minimize wastage; this also will suit to every customer’s portion needed. Besides, this type of restaurants can encourage more people to have environmental awareness which is though the restaurant design like furniture. For the furniture is using recycled material, the recycled material is cheaper. Lastly, the take-away packaging is from recycled materials and fully biodegradable. This is because the rubbish that cannot biodegradable is beginning increasing, so this kind of technology are really be worth to launch from now.
6. In the case study we see a number of innovative ideas that could be applied to any restaurant, which one you find the most intriguing, why? In this case study, the most intriguing idea is the customers can make their choice in controlling the portion of quantity could be applied to other restaurant. This is because actually many restaurants also face the wasting food from customer’s maybe the portion of dish is big for certain customers. Actually this concern is good, same gone with the buffet if you take too much and cannot finish it will be punish and it is work to the buffet restaurant about encourage ‘does not waste food’. Then I will think that giving customers choose their portion is a best way to reducing waste food. This innovative idea is very easy to conduct because it no need any extra cost and will earn more profit.