“The Cask of Amontillado”: Questions Essay
“The Cask of Amontillado”: Questions
Directions: Using complete sentences, answer the following questions about the themes in “The Cask of Amontillado”:
1. How does the author want the reader to feel while reading “The Cask of Amontillado”? The author wants the reader to feel indifferent, neither good nor bad
2. What techniques does the author use to help you visualize the place, the people, and the events that are taking place within the story?
The author uses the first person point of view of the unreliable Montresor. Montresor is unreliable because he really does not tell way he’s so upset with Fortunate
3. How has the author described the characters to make them seem like real people? The author use irony to make the characters seem real because the characters say something and do the opposite. Real people do that to.
4. Does the author expect the reader to make an emotional connection to the story? Explain your answer. In a way yes the author was bullied by Fortunato for years and what’s revenge. People are bullied all the time by outer people.
5. Think back to the events that take place in “The Cask of Amontillado,” and think about the attitudes and actions of the characters. Now, write a theme statement for “The Cask of Amontillado.” The theme between confinement and freedom is extreme in “the cask of Amontillado.” One must die for another to live. The story mostly tasks place in a smelly catacomb, with dead bodies all over the place. Freedom becomes less and less of a possibility as they move farther and farther in to smaller crypts. In such confinement makes all readers and characters appreciate the fresh air.