24/7 writing help on your phone
Save to my list
Remove from my list
1. Background Information: For modern people, cosmetic surgery nowadays has become more and more popular. Some people believe that it is a technique to raise the beauty of a person. The basic intention of this surgery is to enhance the appearance of the individual by changing the parts of the body. On the other hand, other people disagree with it, saying that cosmetic surgery can post a risk of serious diseases such as heart attack. 2. Thesis Statement: According to debatewise.org, people are supposed to be in favor of cosmetic surgery for three reasons: Firstly, it can “alleviate mental illnesses.
” Also, each person has “freedom of expression.” And finally, people whose part of the body got badly damaged have a chance to improve their appearance.
1. Support Paragraph 1 Thesis Statement: Some people take all of their attention on their appearance which can have enormous influence on their well-being. When people are worried too much about their unsatisfying appearance, certain mental illnesses would arise, which, if unfortunately, may make people harm themselves barely to achieve the satisfaction—illnesses such as anorexia and body dysmorphia.
However, with the science of cosmetic surgery, people have the ability to change the body part that they do not like and thus mitigate the life-threatening mental illnesses.
2. Supporting Ideas: Introduce two kinds of disorders mainly to show how serious the disorders would be if they are not relaxed or cured. And cosmetic surgery is just one of the solutions. 1. Anorexia: Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by refusal to maintain a healthy body weight and an obsessive fear of gaining weight (Wikipedia).
2. Body dysmorphia (Body dysmorphic disorder): BDD is a disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features (Wikipedia). 3. Summarizing/Concluding/Transition Sentence
2. Support Paragraph 2
1. Thesis Statement: Anyone in this world is empowered clearly by laws to have the right to enhance their own expression. 2. Supporting Ideas
1. Based on debatewise.org, “[u]nder the Human Rights Act which enshrines the European Convention on Human Rights, we have the freedom to express ourselves, Article 10 ECHR1.” In sum, every person has the right to alter their body as they want it to be. 2. People can dye their hair, change their clothes, and have piercings, etc. Similarly, they are able to have cosmetic surgery on their own body. 3. Summarizing/Concluding/Transition Sentence: There is no reason why people should not be able to undergo cosmetic surgery. 3. Supporting Paragraph 3
1. Thesis Statement: If someone was severely injured in a car accident or horribly burned in fire, he/she might reconstruct their outward appearance by means of cosmetic surgery and then get an opportunity to be reborn. 2. Supporting Ideas: To show how the person who was seriously injured can benefit from having cosmetic surgery and how his/her life is getting better with a new built external appearance. 1. Reconstruct their hurt self-esteem and confidence
2. Repair their nearly ruined interpersonal relationship
3. Summarizing/Concluding/Transition Sentences: A new day will come with a whole new appearance.
1. Review key points
2. Conclusion: Cosmetic surgery not only can relax people’s mental illnesses but can give someone who had gone through a miserable calamity a chance to live again. In addition, this surgery demonstrates people’s freedom of expression and also exercise the given human rights. Therefore, cosmetic surgery is supposed to be respected and even not to be prohibited. 4. REFERENCES (use APA or MLA format)
Jessica28. (2010, December 6). IS COSMETIC SURGERY GOOD OR BAD?. Message posted to http://debatewise.org/debates/1442-is-cosmetic-surgery-good-or-bad# Anorexia nervosa. (2011, March 21). Retrieved from the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_nervosa Body dysmorphic disorder. (2011, March 14). Retrieved from the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder http://www.apa.org/monitor/sep05/surgery.aspx
👋 Hi! I’m your smart assistant Amy!
Don’t know where to start? Type your requirements and I’ll connect you to an academic expert within 3 minutes.get help with your assignment