Informative Speech: Media And You
Informative Speech: Media And You
Specific Purpose: At the end of my speech, the audience will be able to take steps to ensure they and their loved ones are using social networking sites to their full advantage. Central Idea: Time is money and a huge aspect in our lives which we cannot rewind so we must use it wisely and efficiently especially in regards to the time spent on social networking sites to have a positive impact on our lives. Introduction: According to the Nielsen Company survey back in August 2009 social networking and blogging sites accounted for 17% (about one in every six minutes) of all time spent on the internet. That statistic is three years old, as of today that percentage has increased rapidly due to the almost one billion members on Facebook alone, while Twitter is growing at an increasing rate.
In the wise words of the great Jim Morrison “Whoever controls the media, controls the mind,” are extremely valid because everything we talk about in our daily lives has been influenced by another person whether it be reading a newspaper, listening to the radio, or watching television. In the ensuing few minutes I will be discussing the positives, and negatives of social networking while also how we can incorporate the benefits into our lives to make social networking a huge advantage in our lives.
I. Disadvantages of Social Networking
A. Privacy Issues
1) Stalkers and complete strangers can view your pictures and information such as telephone number, email address, and also residing location.
2) Hackers can hack into one’s account gain valuable and personal information which can lead to identity theft and fraud.
B. Could Lead to Bad Reputation
1) Your Facebook or Twitter profile is the essence of you and a digital page which represents you, but if someone posts information or other inappropriate comments on your page it leads to bad reputation.
2) The consequences of a bad reputation online could lead to hard time finding a job or being fired by your current employer. C. Makes Relationships Impersonal
1) Any relationship you have could be family and boyfriend or girlfriend is impacted by social networking sites.
2) Digital Communication is replacing personal communication because we are messaging each other or chatting one another instead of face to face conversations or phone conversations.
3) Digital Communication is impersonal and with time lowers the quality of the relationship.
D. UNPRODUCTIVITY & WASTE OF TIME
1) Social Networking leads to procrastination and being unproductive.
2) Social Networking sites take away time from the more important things in life and in reality and therefore sets you back in scheduled routines and goals.
II. Advantages of Social Networking
A. Allows to Reconnect with Family and Friends
1) Eases communication with anyone all over the world.
B. Allows one to share their thoughts and Opinions
1) By posting statuses and posts you are spreading your ideas and thoughts.
2) Social Networking Sites allow you to become familiar with people that have several similarities with you and your interests.
C. Allows for increased Business opportunities and helps the business advertise.
D. Eases of Communication
1) You can spread knowledge and information to millions of members on social networking sites easily and conveniently.
III. How to make Social Networking beneficial for yourself
A. Put a time limit on how long you will be using any social networking site so it allows you to communicate but does not lead to unproductivity and waste of time.
B. Make sure to set your profile on private so it can only be viewed by friends that you have accepted and not complete strangers.
C. Do not put any private information on the internet.
D. BE ALERT!!!
So today, we looked at the disadvantages and advantages of social networking while also learning about how we can make social networking beneficial for us. We are a new generation obsessed with technology and spend so much time on the internet so it is our responsibility to use it wisely and knowledgably. “The Way of the World Is Meeting People Through Other People,” which is why social networking is a positive and effective factor in our lives.