Nature and Types of Conflict
Conflict are not always bad in nature like relationship conflict, which generates negative feelings among the disputing parties such as anxiety, fear, anger due to personality and value disagreements. However, some conflicts yield the positive outcomes also such as constructive disputes bring innovation and creative repercussions as well enhance the team strengthens. The purpose of this paper to elucidate the Thomas Kilmann conflict resolution styles in detail and elaborate my personality result according to procedural set of questions and compare it with emotional intelligence skill.
Basically, conflicts are two types, such as external conflicts and internal conflicts. Internal conflict is known as men vs self. It is a situation when person feels inner frustrated because he has psychological interest in more than one thought, but only one can be pursed from choices such as everyone know that smoking is precarious for physical wellbeing, hence, smokers know that they must deny this unhealthy habit as well as their desire to smoke is also strong. According to Wiest (2018), internal conflict emerges due to the lack of need recognition and understanding, then people feel trapped internally in the situation because there is no effective way to recover from these circumstances. On other side, external conflicts are disagreements developed between an individual and outsiders such as men vs men, men vs society and men vs nature. External conflict is arisen due to outside impacts.
- Men vs men conflict- it is disagreement between two persons due to diversity in the point of view. It develops the gap in the relations because one person proves the other person ideas as the wrong.
- Men vs society conflict- It is the social contamination, a person stands on his notion and does not accept the social values, beliefs and rules, hence, a fight between individual and association or group emerged.
- Men vs nature- this type of conflict appears when the life of the character is at the risk due to the natural disaster such as due to the cyclone, tsunami etc. Deforestation is major cause of giving fire to the men vs natural conflict.
Thomas- Kilmann Conflict Resolution Instrument
Thomas-Kilmann conflict resolution modes illustrate the five type of style, such as avoiding, collaborative, competitive, compromise and accommodating to deal with any types of conflict and applied the specifically to gain the rewarding outcomes. These styles explain the attitude, behavior and psychological responses of individual. Its results are based on the set of standardised questions. The followings are modes of conflict Solving:
- Accommodate: By accommodating style, a person who is cooperative and satisfied the other person by fulfilling their demand instead of their own. Accommodating people usually believe in goodwill, generosity and strength of the other team member. Moreover, they pay attention towards other people concern rather than their own. Accommodating people usually do not have the feeling of competing others because they are usually depending on others and very cooperative. For these types of people, learning from others is more important than other perspective. They usually understand and respect other person point of view and give more importance to others.
- Avoiding: some people underestimate important issues and they does not pay attention to solve the problems. However, if they have intension to solve, they usually postpone the issue to solve it later or they usually thought that it will go away later. Furthermore, Avoiders are uncooperative they do not have any concern with the others opinion. If conflicts or dispute occur avoiders usually prefer to avoid it. For instance, customer purchased a laptop that has warranty for 6 months but after a year customer want to return it, but the sale representative does not want to surge an issue. He accepts it back without saying anything because he does want to lose his current customers.
- Competing: Competing is an approach in which persons can fight against their right. Those who are competitive in nature they believe in their own values, beliefs and rights. They stick towards what is right or what is wrong about them. For example, at workplace competitive people see others as an employee not as a team members or friends because for them relationship does not matter they are only focus to accomplished their task or goals.
- Compromising: A compromise is an approach where person wants to settle their dispute by commitment or by finding the ground where both parties point of view changed into a single opinion. For example, if an employee working for 5 years in a company wants that his manager to increase his salary as he is working for long lasting time, but his manager increased it not according to employee expectation. In this case, he compromised and continue their job. It is kind of trend where person shows average levels of confidence and cooperativeness. It is more suitable when it is required a short-term solution (Meier,2011).
- Collaborating: People who listen others carefully, they have undoubtedly trust on them. Those are high in collaborating; such people like to cooperate in situation for the gaining favourable outcomes and does not want to indulge in any dispute which can harm their relationship because people maintain relationship as well as gain superior results. Moreover, they believe in making commitments and like to work in team.
According to my assessment, it is evident that I am accommodating in nature because I always prefer to develop sound interaction and good tie ups by incorporating others in complicated situation. In fact, healthy relations and reputation is more rewarding to me rather than gaining the meaningful outcomes. Avoiding and collaborative styles are my second and third priority respectively to handle the conflict.
Emotional intelligence is also known as the emotional stability because it supports to understand the own and other emotions and control on the reactions by staying calm, polite and active without showing anxiety and frustration. EQ is a skill which is attained by the individual through the experience of dealing with struggle, arrogant and hardship situation and it can be enhance also. EQ is like a response after thinking critically about the problem as well as it assists to achieve the win-win approach. In real life, EQ plays the greater role than the IQ because it is artificial knowledge that a person learns through school and apply for reckoning a appropriate solution but EQ helps to feel and react by verbal and non verbal languages. According to Blain (2019), Emotional intelligence is a soft skill by which people observe own strengths and weakness and outside forces like opportunities and threads and apply their emotions accordingly to achieve rewarding results.
According to EQ tests, it is demonstrated that my EQ performance is average. Global Emotional Intelligence test (GEIT) is one most reliable because it scales the EQ by dividing into four parts such as Self awareness, Self management, social awareness and relationship management. GEIT interprets my profile as following:
- Self awareness 6
- Self management 7
- Social awareness 4
- Relationship management 9
According to both results, it is expounded that I emphasis on harmony as well as making long lasting relationships and planning the tasks to achieve with dedicated efforts.
Big Five Traits Theory
It demonstrates the personality of individual by giving value to the five psychological factors, such as openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism.
According to final scores, it is revealed as following:
- Openness: People who likes to experience new things in life and highly open to learn new opportunities. people who have low level of openness tend to be close minded and do not like to enjoy new things in life.
- Conscientiousness: conscientiousness is more responsible person because he focusses on their tasks.
- Extraversion: Extroversion people like to interact with other people and they get energy by interacting with others. Extraversion people like to talk about problems and discussions with their friends. They are usually talkative and heavily confident people. They are expressive in nature, outgoing, cheerful and sociable.
- Agreeableness- Agreeableness is person who is accommodating in nature and efforts to stand with everyone.
- Neuroticism- emotional instable person is called high neuroticism. Often, they feel worried about the others and bad news. they feel jealously and get frustrated by losing something special.
- Openness • 69%
- Conscientiousness • 71%
- Extroversion • 37.5%
- Agreeableness • 67%
- Neuroticism • 62.5%
To conclude, it is evident that my personality is corporative because I do not want to say “no” to anyone. People should always emphasis on maintaining harmonious relationship as well as concentrate on their own career goals by applying the collaborative and compromising rather than emphasis too much on helping others and avoiding the disputes.