Task A – Individual presentation
Given the situation, you now have:
· 2 minutes to prepare your responses
· 2 minutes to present
· Study the scenario or topic given carefully
· Double check which candidate you are (A, B, C, D) to make sure you don’t prepare another candidate’s speech
· Make sure you don’t run out of topic
· Prepare 2 to 3 points to present on
· You MUST agree with the point that is given to you (you can disagree or favor another point in Task B) · Make full use of the 2 minutes that you have. Don’t go less than 1 minute 45 seconds / more than 2 minutes.
· If you don’t have as many points to speak about, talk slower. · Don’t relax after your turn! Keep an attentive ear to what the other candidates are talking about. · Write down the other students’ answers as they present their 2-minute speech (to prepare yourself for Task B)
Sample answer: Candidate A
Hi, a very good morning to the examiners and my fellow friends. As we are talking about how a person’s character can be influenced by another person, the persons whom I think have the most influence in a person’s life are – parents. There are three reasons why I think so. Firstly, parents are the people whom know us since birth. We become like the person whom we spend the most time with. Parents are the people whom we see every day from the moment we are born, till the day we are adults.
Hence, very naturally, they become the people whom we look up to and start imitating the way they talk, act, and even think. My second reason is because parents are the first educators to their child before anybody else. Table manners and basic etiquettes are taught at home, by the parents. This gives an influence so vast that we ourselves fail to recognize it sometimes
Thirdly, parents are the ones who impart values into our lives. Values are assets which we hold on to for the rest of our lives – and this is the greatest influence of all. Values are what we make our decisions upon, and it is what shapes our character.