24/7 writing help on your phone
Save to my list
Remove from my list
Examine the way Shakespeare presents the relationship between Romeo and Rosaline and Romeo and Juliet in the early parts of the play.
* One of the most the most tragic love stories.
* Romeo portrayed as the quintessential hero
* Romeo characterised as young man transformed by love (upon closer analysis) * This can be seen in Romeo's initial interest in Rosaline, which is superficial and passive in comparison to the more complex and active relationship he develops with Juliet. * Shakespeare employs a diverse use of detailed language and literary techniques to illustrate this Paragraph 1
* Rosaline: Romeo's obsession.
Belief of genuine love but unrequited (quote) * Hyperbolic language(quote)
* Use of oxymoron’s – state of mind, turmoil (quote)
* Confusion stems from rejection
* Love is intoxicating, not enjoying his experience – metaphor (quote) Paragraph 2
* Convinced love is madness (quote)
* Love has made him lose himself (quote)
* Discovers love is futile – Rosaline determined to stay chaste.(quote) * Aesthete side is revealed when describing her, focus on Rosaline's physical beauty and attractiveness.
* Military language – love is a battlefield (quote)
* Language relating to death – focusing on aesthetics/ main theme of play * As if Juliet already knows fate (quote)
* Light imagery – predominant feature (quote)
* Despite Romeo's great declarations of love for Rosaline, his feelings are actually fleeting, as shown by his behaviour when he spies young Juliet. (quote) He is smitten at first sight, * Contrast of light and dark (quote)
* Romeo’s use of religious imagery – comparing meeting Juliet to religious
experience (quote) * Convinced that one kiss will clear him of his sins (quote) * Religious imagery – sees Juliet as a deity or a descendant from heaven (quote) – more light imagery * Reference to time – (quote) implies that Juliet feels the time is longer than it is before she next sees Romeo Conclusion:
* Different language used by Romeo for Rosaline and Juliet * Rosaline’s darkness opposed to Juliet’s light (quote) * Loses identity just like with Rosaline (quote)
* Large amount of biblical allusions used
* Explanation of fate (quote)
* Romeo relationship with Juliet more important than Rosaline – instantly forgotten (quote) * Not actually in love but with the concept of love.
Paragraph 1| Paragraph 2| Paragraph 3| Paragraph 4| Paragraph 5| conclusion| Out of her favour, where I am in love| It is madness, most discreet| She will not be hit with cupid arrowAssailing, siege| It is the east and Juliet is the sunTwo of the fairest stars in heaven| Saints, pilgrim, holy, prayer, shrine| Arise fair sun and kill the envious moon| O brawling love O loving hate| Tut, I have lost myself, I am not here. This is not Romeo, he’s some other where.|
She is rich in beauty, only poor. That, when she dies, with beauty dies her store| Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!| Thus from my lips by thine sin is purged| I know not how to tell thee who I am| Feather of leadBright smokeCold fireSick health| she hath Dians wit, and, in strong proof of chastity well armed| My grave is like to be my wedding bed| As a rich jewel in an Ethiops ear. So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows.| Bright angel Winged messenger of heaven| Star crossed lovers take their life| Love is a smoke made with the fume of sighs| | | | I will not fail; tis’ twenty years till then| Did my heart love till now?|
Although, however, to begin with, despite, in addition to this, where as, contradictorily, in conclusion, paradoxically, nevertheless, to sum up.
This suggests, this demonstrates/portrays, moreover, possibly, doubtless, arguably, indisputably, unquestionably, undeniably, alternatively, conclusively, this signifies, this could represent.
On the other hand, likewise, similarly, in the same way, equally, it could be argued.
Consequently, as a result, therefore, thus, evidently, subsequently, ironically, hence, naturally.
👋 Hi! I’m your smart assistant Amy!
Don’t know where to start? Type your requirements and I’ll connect you to an academic expert within 3 minutes.get help with your assignment