Importance Of Values Essay
Importance Of Values
1. Values are guides for our behaviour. 2. It is significant to our life and the society in general. 3. It gives direction to our lives. Its value are clear and consistent. 4. Values tell us the importance of people. What things are desirable and satisfying. 5. Values are principle by which individuals are guided on their proper behaviour in a society. 6. Values have something to do with the total formation of a person. 7. Value mean whatever is actually prized, esteemed, desired, approved, or enjoyed by anyone at a time.
8. Values allow the members of an organization to interact harmoniously. Values affect their formation and development as individuals, and make it easier to reach goals that would be impossible to achieve individually. 9. Values is being itself or the richness of being in as much as it has power to attract the cognitive and appetitive potentials of men. 10. Values refer to the major priorities that one chooses to act on. 11. Values are seen as growing from a person’s experiences. It is, therefore, expected that different experiences would give rise to different values.
Process of Valuing
Louis Raths, et al. defined value or the process of valuing as having seven aspects and made it clear that unless all the seven are present, then what person has chosen is not a value. Values possess criteria which can be divided into three categories: CHOOSING, PRIZING, and ACTING. Hence: C – Choosing
1. To choose freely
2. To choose from alternatives
3. To choose alternatives after considering the consequences of such alternatives.
P – Prizing
4. To cherish and be happy with the choice
5. To be willing to affirm the choice publicly
A – Acting
6. To actually do something about the choice
7. To act repeatedly to affirm the choice publicly.
In the area of choice, the value must be chosen freely and he person is totally accountable for the choice he made. The choice must consider the consequences of the alternative evident. Essential to the valuing process is that the choice must be acted upon and should become part of the life of the person. Finally, the person must be happy with the choice, a choice that enhances the emotional and spiritual development of that individual.
Values, therefore, are major priorities that a person choses to act on, that creatively enhances his life and the lives of those with whom he associates. Our live are motivated and guided by values. In the words of hall, all of life is worth living when we have sincerely commited ourselves top the realization of our goals.
Fr. Jaime Bulatao, a Filipino psychologist in his article “ The Manileños Mainspring,” gave four large areas of values from the total field of values: 1. Emotional closeness and security in a family. In any society, the home always provides love, understanding, acceptance, a place where, no matter how far or how wrongly one has wandered he can always return. The Filipinos are noted for manifesting close ties in the family. As many Filipinos would say, “There is no place like home.” 2. The authority value. This may be defined as “approval by the authority figure and by society.” A part of the Filipino tradition is that children may marry only with the consent of parents; even when they elope, the parents are still expected to work for reconciliation. Authority figures must be respected and obeyed within the limits.
Authority figures are feared and served with awe, but sometimes are not really loved. One looks at authority figures for help in obtaining a job and other benefits. 3. Economic and social betterment. This value often refers to a desire to raise the standard of living of one’s family, or of one’s hometown. Often it is repayment of one’s debt of gratitude to parents and relatives. 4. Patience, suffering, and endurance. This value has been fused with the religious value since it seems that God is called upon when other means fail. It is associated with women more than with men.
University/College: University of Arkansas System
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 24 September 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Importance Of Values
for only $16.38 $13.9/page