The employees as well as the other sections of an organization have to face various types of safety and health issues. The more risk of safety and health issues will decrease the confidence and the efficiency of the workers and it will decline the reputation of a certain organization. It is practicable to apply suitable safety and health policy for the organization. It should be done after considering all the relevant facts. Those factors can be understood by performing a through observation and study.
The safe and secure environment should be maintained fro the employees and it is the duty of the management to take necessary steps to implement it
LO-01: Implementation of health and safety legislation the social and health care center
1.1: The establishment of health and safety needs in a work place:
The health and safety policy of a work place plays a major role in the organization. Poor health and safety policy of an organization will be a negative effect on the individuals, organizations and finally the society.
A great attention should be paid to this subject in a social care work place where the risks of safety and health issues are very common. The effects of the issues related to health and safety can be smaller or critical. They can affect in many ways and the effects can be sufferings, injury or the death, psychological issues, financial issues, reduced productivity and low confidence. This situation leads to the destruction of the social image of the organization. Sometimes the safety related issue can be harming the development and the maintenance the business of that organization. This can be very serious when it is related to a social welfare institute. In certain cases the management has to suffer from severe financial losses. The employees must have the ability to work in a very protective and friendly environment. The relaxation can make great changes in the functioning of the organization. The organization wants to keep the employees in a good condition with performing their duties in a very relaxed manner. The well being of the employee is very essential for the employer to get the maximum benefit (Garcarz, W., 2005). The health and safety measures should be according to the expectations of the organization and they should not harm the progress of the organization. The application of suitable policy and marinating it can be a very important part of the organization and it will improve the commercial aspect of the organization
1.2 Impact of the health and safety needs on the employees and the practitioners:
The management should be aware of the situation of the employees. The employees who do not perform in accordance to set guideline will face lot of problems. The employees should be trained in various types of activities related to the organization, the communication or getting correct idea about certain issues. All the problems of the formation can be reported and the other can get a clear idea about the issues and it helps the employer to get the maximum service of the employees as well as to minimize the health and safety related issues in the types of the situations and implementations. The following can be used to keep the communication regarding the health and safety issues in the organization (Fisher, A.,2005). These can be employed to inform the employees as well as it will be very useful in getting feedback of the employees as well as the customers and the practitioners of the institute.
- Health and Safety website of the organization
- Employees and modes of communication.
- Online employee health and safety introduction projects
- Employees information publications
- Safety manuals and Safe Work Procedures
- Instruction manuals and other literature.
These sources can be employed according to the requirement as well as the affordability of the organization. The future improvements of the policy and other remedies can be possible if those problems are properly recorded. The management or the other responsible parties can make necessary alterations to the policy. The issues of the organization should be carefully assessed by the, these reports can be possible with the following methods.
- Workplace accident inspection reports
- Accident and incident report
- Health and injury and other issues management report
- Report of the injured workers compensation
- Audits of the health and safety aspect
1.3 Monitoring and review of health and safety strategies:
The management is the decision making body of the organization so they are responsible fro each and every decision of the organization. The management or the employer has to perform a great task in maintaining a satisfactory standard in the health and safety condition of the entire organization (Fisher, A., 2005). The health and safety should be applied to each and every individual who is associated with the organization.
- He has to manage each and every aspect of the organization so that he can pay more attention to the health and well fare of the people of the organization.
- The management has to plan a risk free environment for the employees from various components of the place of work.
- Providing information, instruction, training and supervision regarding safety and health of employees
- The management or the employer makes the employee aware of the safety and health of the place of work.
- The management can offer the employees with welfare and other facilities.
- Preventing risks to other people at the place of work including, for example, visitors, customers, suppliers and sales representatives
- The employer should prevent others from falling into trouble
- The employer or the manger must have some remedial plans or solutions for the emergency.
LO-02 Impact of health and safety requirements on customers and the work of practitioners
2.1 The effect of the risk assessment on the planning of organizational and individual decisions
It is a fact that the workers who are employed in the health care sector of any country have to perform a variety of duties. Sometimes they have to perform risky and hard duties. There is the risk of contamination as well as exposing themselves to the danger. So it is a must to understand the situations that they have to face. As many of the workers are performing multitasks in the hospital, they are more vulnerable to hardships (Moonie. N.,2000). There will be danger in various activities that they perform, such as handling the patients, cleaning the place transporting and handling the medical instruments. The risks that the employee has to face can be divided into 5 types
- Biological risks- This is one of the most common situation. The getting exposed to several diseases and getting negative effects or getting the diseases This is one of the prominent issues a management has to answer in the process of making new changes to the system.
- Chemical risks. Chemicals which are used to treat cancers and other critical issues can be understood as one of the health and safety issue
- Physical risks– Ionization and radiation are good examples. The employees who are used to assign to handle those machines and chemicals are to be paid. such as
- Ergonomic risks,- the danger of getting injuries and harmed. This can be resulted in mostly handling patients. For example, patient handling
- Psychosocial risks– this is another r types of health and safety issue in handling violence and shift work
2.2 Analyzing the priorities of health and safety strategies:
The reporting of the health and safety issues in the organization is a very important part. The relevant incident should be reported to the management in the perfect manner and the feedback can be successfully applied by the management and other policy makers to make more practicable policy in health and safety needs ain an organization. The management can get several advantages of these reports to the welfare of the organization; he can use the collected knowledge and experience in order to do several activities fro the well fare of the company Employees as well as the community (HSSCU, 2010). As the employer wanted to make the health and safety legislations more effective it should be implemented with proper planning after the identification of various connected facts. The proposed plans and ideas should be able to match the structure of the organization. It can be done in the following manner
- Care planning– There are several types and modes of implementing policies for the organization. Most of the organizations try to create the policy while offering the maximum benefit to the employees. The wellbeing and the satisfaction of the employees are taken into the consideration.
- Dilemmas and challenges– It is not an easy task to introduce an effective safety policy into an organization. There will be lots of dilemmas and also challenges to the management. So the policy should be considered very carefully after taking all the parties into the consideration,
- Own practice- The implementation of the policies can be vary from organization to organization. So the process of implementation legislation should be done according to the culture and environment of the area.
- Monitoring and revising. The procedures and updates should be monitored and the observations can be applied to the development of the policy. An organization can get good examples from the previous threats and drawbacks
- Creating a healthy and safety working environment- a safe and healthy environment can be made for various levels or categories of the employees. The management can use training programs and workshops in order to get more feedback.
2.3 Application of the safety and health policy into the place of work
The management should pay a great attention to ensure the employees’ awareness of the health and safety issues. The employees should be aware of the possible dangers that they have to face as well as the customers and practitioners have to face. The process should be started with a basic level of cleanliness. They should be properly educated with proper handling of chemicals and the same keeping the environment in the perfect manner (Garcarz, W.,2005). They should be trained to dispose the garbage in the perfect manner. In that way the management will get the ability to reduce most of the health hazards in the place of work.
LO-03 Monitoring and reviewing of health and safety policy:
3.1 Situation of the safety and health strategies in the place of work:
There should be facilities to monitor the protective and preventive measures. This step will be useful to assess the practicability of the policy which is introduced to the organization. This should be done continuously as it can offer the best idea after certain period. The assessment should be checked over and over in order to find the most suitable version or the policy. The implementation of health and safety policy in a place of work can be very useful to all the relevant parties. The employees can get the benefit of having the freedom to work as they wish and they can perform according to the requirements of the organization without getting into trouble or putting others into trouble. The second party is the management (CIS, 2010). They can maintain the functions of the organization in a very smooth and they will be to gain more profits.
3.2 Effectiveness of the safety and health strategies:
The customers and the practitioners are too getting many advantages the place of work will be a very interesting place for the employees as well as the employers. The management puts his attention on the employees, practitioners as well as the visitors to the organization. When concerning the safety and the well being of the employee, the employer should pay his attention on following. The employer must keep his duty of making a satisfactory working area for the employee. There are several duties of the employer. As there are more positive changes many customers will visit the place and the future of the organization will be very successful.
3.3 The individual contribution to the implementation:
The practitioners will be able to offer their respective service in the best manner; it will be a great advantage for the business. The management should try to apply various types of strategies in order to select the most suitable one. It may take time but the final result will be very important to the organization. The each and every member of the organization should pay his or her contribution in the process of understanding and the implementation of the health and safety policy. They should take part in those training and awareness programs and should be getting themselves well educated. It is a very easy and successful task if the employees and other relevant parties are ready to move forward.
The health and safety plays a prominent role in an organization. It is the duty of the management to implement a suitable policy and it should offer the positive changes to the organization. In a social care organization, more attention must be paid for the health and safety factor as the employees are more vulnerable to various types of diseases as well as accidents. The policy should be changed according to the requirements of the individuals as well as the requirement of the time. This can be done by careful evaluation of the process ( Moonie. N., 2000).. The measurements of the safety and health can be utilized by the management in order to find the negative as well as positive features of the existing policy. It can be updated or changed after careful assessment.
- AHS. (2010).Strategic Plan for Workplace Health and Safety.Available: www.albertahealthservices.cahttp. Last accessed 10/5/2014
- CIS. (2010).Assessment. Com. Health and Safety in an Adult Social Care Set.Available:
- Fisher, A. (2005).Health and Social Care. London: Oxpord-Henemann.
- Garcarz, W (2005).Statutory and Mandatory Training in Health and Social Care: A Toolkit for Good Practice. -: Radcliff publishing-oxon. -.
- https://:www.cis-assessment.co.uk. Last accessed 10/5/2014.
- HSSCU,. (2007).Health Services – Information about workplace health and .Available: http//www.hse.gov.uk. Last accessed 9/05/2014.
- HSSCU,. (2007).Health Services – Information about workplace health and .Available: http//www.hse.gov.uk. Last accessed 10/05/2014.
- Moonie. N (2000).Advanced Health and Social Care. London : Oxford: Heinemann.
- Contribute to the developmence of healthynt and maintena. Available: http//www.ocr.org.uk. Last accessed 9/5/2014.
- http//www.osha.europa.eu. Last accessed 11/5/2014.
Cite this page
Health and Safety in Health and Social Care. (2019, Mar 15). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/health-safety-health-social-care-essay