Engage In Personal Development Essay
Engage In Personal Development
Understand what is required for competence in own work role
1. Describe the duties and responsibilities of own work role
To assist service user or individual in the care home with everyday tasks such as washing, toileting, dressing, eating, drinking. To assist with mobility and disability. To help in the promotion of mental and physical activity through talking and reading with them, encourage them to do what they can do in order to promote their independents. Follow policies and procedure at all times and report any changes to service user’s health or circumstances.
2. Explain expectations about own work role as expressed in relevant standards.
There are two main standards that I am expected to be able to comply with.
The National Minimum standards
The purpose of these standards is set to out the national minimum training standards for health care support workers and adult social care workers in Wales. These standards define the minimum you should know, irrespective of your individual work role. Often you will gain knowledge during a period of induction in the first weeks or months of your employment. While meeting these minimum standards is not the same as being competent in your role, they do provide the foundation for safe and effective practice. The standards do not seek to set out competences for workers, but correspond to the underpinning knowledge within the core competences for healthcare support workers and adult social care workers.
The National Occupational standards
These apply across the whole UK, and explain what you need to know and be able to do in order to work effectively in social care. Should be able to demonstrate competence in these areas that’s why the management in our nursing home are making sure we have enough training and support in order to be more competence in our job.
Outcome 2 Be able to reflect on practice
1. Explain the importance of reflective practice in continuously improving the quality of service provided.
Reflective practice is the process that enables individuals to achieve better understanding of themselves, their understanding, their skills, competencies and their workplace practices in general. Reflective practice allows us to reflect on our actions and experiences so that we can learn from them and adapt our behavior accordingly. Reflective practice can be uncomfortable as it challenges our own assumptions about ourselves however it is vital for improving the quality of the service we provide. Reflective practice will make us more self-aware, this will raise our own awareness of others and increase sensitivity to their needs and perception of how we care for them.
3. Describe how own values, belief systems and experiences may affect working practice
Personal values and beliefs are an important part of personal growth and happiness. As human beings, we all have our own values, beliefs and attitudes that we have developed throughout the course of our lives. Our families, friends, community and the experiences we have had, all contribute to our sense of pride and how we care for each other. Our experiences also affect how we value the importance of family and friendships. Religious beliefs affect how we feel about right and wrong. Significant or unexpected life events such as death of love ones impact on what we value as being important. All people are entitled to their own point of view, their own values and beliefs, but they must never force those values and beliefs onto others. We must always take great care to treat all service user and all individuals equally. Our values and beliefs affect the quality of our work and all interpersonal relationships.
Outcome 3Be able to evaluate own performance
1. Evaluate own knowledge, performance and understanding against relevant standards. My knowledge and performance follows the relevant standards such as every member of staff requires crb check to ensure they are meeting the standards of the CSSIW by not obtaining any criminal convictions to ensure resident or service user are not put at any risk. Manual handling standards have to be met by using hoists, slings and slide sheets with the residents who require this and making sure they are used correctly because it will cause danger and harm to the service users. Other standards that have to be followed are infection control, we have to maintain cleanliness in the home and prevent all cross contamination in the home.
Outcome 4Be able to agree a personal development plan
1. Identify sources of support for planning and reviewing own development
There are many sources of support that you can access and many different ways you can help yourself. The appraisal or supervision system in my workplace can be a good starting point. This will help me identify areas of my practice that’s needs to be improve and develop. Supervision gives you a good opportunity to use the experience and knowledge of your supervisor to help you plan how to move forward to your practice. All the trainings provided by the management of the home are effective support for me by gaining knowledge so that I can use as my guide to develop and improves my job role as a carer and as individual as well.
Outcome 5Be able to use learning opportunities and reflective practice to contribute to personal development
1. Evaluate how learning activities have affected practice. I attended a course on confidentiality by my employer. The covered areas such as confidentiality policies and when to seek help for confidentiality matter. The aim of the course was to enhance and update staff knowledge on the intricacies of confidentiality and when to break confidentiality. This course was very interesting, and learned new things that I was not aware of. We had given a scenario in our training, when a service user confided to you and told you a staff has abused but the service user don’t want you tell anyone and keep it secret. From I was taught in the course that confidentiality should be broken when there is a possibility of danger to the service use. So from that course it gave me knowledge and help me in decision making as I now feel confident that I am following correct procedure in such events.
3.Show how to record progress in relation to personal development
To record my progress I would make a grid for my goals and work towards a completion date for each goal as a care assistant. You have to identify skill and knowledge would like to improve. Here is an example:
2.What do I want to achieve?
3.How am I going to achieve this?
Once you have completed your plan, you can identify the areas on which you need to concentrate. You should set some goals and targets. And your supervisor should be able to help you ensure they are realistic. This is a personal development programme in order to reflect not only the objectives and the job roles needs to develop and improve.
University/College: University of Chicago
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 22 September 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Engage In Personal Development
for only $16.38 $12.9/page