The Respiratory and Circulatory Systems Essay
The Respiratory and Circulatory Systems
1. Explain how the respiratory and circulatory systems coordinate the supply and transport of oxygen to the cells and removal of carbon dioxide from the blood. (10 Marks) Paragraph 1: What happens in the respiratory system?
Respiratory System: Coordinating the Supply and transport of Oxygen
* Oxygen is inhaled through the nose or mouth
* Travels down through the Pharynx
* Travels down the Larynx
* Reaches the lungs and goes through the Bronchi
* Through the Bronchioles
* Then reach’s the Alveoli
* The Oxygen then leaves the lungs and is transported around the body via blood vessels
* Deoxygenated blood carries the Carbon Dioxide back to the lungs
* The deoxygenated air then retraces its steps
* Back to the Alveoli
* To the Bronchioles
* Through the Bronchi
* Through the Larynx and Pharynx
* Then finally out of the nose or mouth.
Paragraph 2: Circulatory System
– The heart sends blood around your body. The blood provides your body with the oxygen and nutrients it needs. It also carries away waste such as carbon dioxide. -Your heart is sort of like a pump. The right atrium of your heart receives de-oxygenated blood from the body and pumps it through the valve to the right ventricle, back to the lungs so that it can be re-oxygenated. -The left atrium receives blood from the lungs where it is passed through another valve into the left ventricle then pumped out into the body. – Blood is pumped and circulated through the body via blood vassals. – An
adult has an average of 5 liters of blood in the body; the circulatory system carries this entire quantity on one complete circuit through the body every minute. -It equalizes body temperature and helps maintain normal water balance.
How is it possible? What allows it to happen?
+The Pharynx has hairs to filter air.
+The Trachea is lined with mucus secreting cells.
+Bronchi and Bronchioles get air deep into the lungs.
+Alveoli has thin walls to allow air to pass back and forth.