In hospitals, Saline is fed to patients to treat dehydration and thus improve their health. Almost in all of the hospital, a nurse or caretaker is responsible for monitoring the saline level continuously without any interruptions. Due to the negligence and inattentiveness about saline completion by doctors, nurses, or caretakers of the patients and lack of nurses with sufficient skills in hospitals and also they’re over workload, a huge number of patients are dying and are being harmed in the hospitals.
Hence to prevent the patient from getting harmed and also protect their lives during the saline feeding period, the saline level monitoring system using IoT in hospitals has been developed. The proposed system comprises LDR sensors which are used to sense LED light and also act as a level sensor for monitoring the critical level of the saline in the saline bottle.
Whenever the level of the saline reaches the pre-defined critical level, then the nurses, caretakers, doctors will be alerted through the message to the concerned nurses there is a need for replacement of the saline bottle. The advantage is there is no need for continuous monitoring by the caretaker. This proposed system can be utilized efficiently in homes as well as hospitals.
Due to the increase in the population, there is a need for improvement in health care.
Because of tremendous advancement in technology, the progress in the medical field is rapid. A reason behind this is a combination of medical and engineering disciplines. When the Normal Saline is to be placed intravenously then it is called sterile. Normal saline is generally referred as sterile solution of sodium chloride in water. The sodium chloride sterile solution is used for nasal irrigation, rinsing contact lenses, intravenous infusion and to clean a new piercing. Nowadays it is often, to use Normal Saline in intravenous drips (IVs), or the patients who are unable to take fluids orally and are in danger of causing dehydration or hypovolemia. Normal saline contains 9 grams of NaCl, and the osmotic coefficient of NaCl is 0.93. The amount of Normal Saline intake taken by the patient totally depends on the physiological condition of the patient but normally it is between 1.5 to 3 liters per day for an adult. Generally, in hospitals saline level is monitored by nurses and patients relatives. There is always a need for continuous monitoring of saline levels after a certain time. In the existing system, saline level monitoring is very time consuming and inconvenient for doctors. The main objective of the proposed system is to provide more reliable, convenient, and effective system for saline level monitoring. The saline is injected into the blood of the patient by considering certain parameters like heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, pulse rate, and the bodyweight of the patient. As the saline reaches below the critical level, it is necessary to replace the saline bottle. An automatic saline level monitoring consists of LDR sensors which are used to determine the status of liquid in the bottle whether it is normal or warning status. Due to the use of Bluetooth or GSM module, the notification can be sent to the nurse or caretaker mobile.
1. Mansi G. Chidgopkar, Aruna P. Fatale
“Automatic And Low-Cost Saline Level Monitoring System Using Wireless Bluetooth Module And Cc2500 Transreceiver “International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology ;
Traditional methods used for health care are becoming obsolete due to the increase in population. The current health care system requires manual caretakers and heavy duties which is very time-consuming job. Innovative health monitoring systems are required with less human intervention which will be available at the lowest price in rural as well as urban areas. Engineering technologies are tied up with the medical field to solve this problem. Sophisticated health monitoring systems are getting developed with the help of electronic components such as sensors, PLC, microcontrollers, etc. with easy interfacing. This paper main objective focuses on providing advanced saline level monitoring systems. 
2.C.C.Gavimath, Krishnamurthy Bhat, C.chayalakshmi, R. S. Hooli and B.E.Ravishankera “Design And Development Of Versatile Saline Flow Rate Measuring System And Gsm Based Remote Monitoring Device “International Journal of Pharmaceutical Applications Vol 3, Issue 1, 2012. As the world population grows, the need for health care increases. In recent years, the main progress in medical care has been rapid due to the advancements in the field of sensors, microcontrollers, and computers. The main reason for this is the combination of the two important disciplines namely medicine and engineering. This paper describes the development of an automatic saline monitoring system using a low cost indigenous sly developed sensor and GSM (Global System for mobile communication) modem. This enables the doctor or nurse to monitor the saline flow rate continuously from a distance. The 8051 microcontrollers is used for providing coordination action. An IR sensor is used at the neck of the saline bottle to know the flow rate of the saline liquid. The detection of a saline drop level is quite faithful. The output obtained from the sensor is processed to check whether the flow rate of saline is slow, medium, or fast and the same is transmitted through GSM technology to a distant mobile cell for future actions.
3. Pattarakam on Rangsee, Paweena Suebsombut, Phakphoom Boony Anant “Low -Cost Saline Droplet Measurement System using for Common Patient oom in Rural Public Hospital “The 4th Joint International Conference on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Electrical Engineering (JI CTEE) 978 -1- 4799 -3855 -1/14 2014 The system can be used to check saline droplet of patients in each patient’s bed in a rural public hospital. By installing measuring modules in all the patient’s beds, the saline system will show the saline droplet status of each patient. So, the caretaker can accurately check the saline droplet status of their patients on a computer including the saline droplet statuses, saline droplet rate (drops per minute), and also remaining time. The saline droplet statuses consist of four different statuses: Normal status (the system is working, the green light is shown on monitor), Warning status (sensor at a critical point cannot detect saline, the yellow light is displayed on the monitor), Error status (droplet sensor cannot detect saline droplet, the red light is shown on monitor), and Change New Bag status (the blue light is shown on monitor). So, nurses do not need to go to patient’s bed every time because they can check the saline droplet the status of each patient via this system. This system is the least pricing system and comfortable for nurses. Therefore, in rural public hospitals can use this system in a common patient’s room.
4.P.Kalaivani, T.Thamaraiselvi, P.Sindhuja, and G.Vegha “Saline Level Monitoring System Using Arduino UNO Processor “Asian Journal of Applied Science and Technology (AJAST) Volume 1, March 2017. The rapid growth of wireless technology and mobile services in this epoch is creating a great impact on our lifestyle. In early-stage, some efforts have been taken to utilize these technologies in the medical industry. In this field, ECG sensor-based advanced system such as wireless patient monitoring system concept is a new innovative idea. The main aim of this system to provide health care to the patient. By sensing the patient’s ECG through 3 lead electrode systems via AD8232 which amplifies minor and small bio -signals to the Arduino which processes them, along with saline level. The saline level is detected through IR sensors. The output of the electrical pulse is shown with a continuous monitor. The saline level is indicated by LCD. The output of the ECG analog signal is displayed on serial plotter. The outputs are displayed through mobile applications.
The proposed system consists of LDR sensors and LED lights. LDR sensors which will act as a level sensor and light-absorbing sensor for monitoring the critical level of the saline in the saline bottle. Whenever the level of the saline in the saline bottle reaches to the pre-defined critical level, then the nurses, caretaker, doctors will be alerted through the buzzer and an alert message will be sent through the use of the internet to the concerned nurses and doctors that there is a need for replacement of the saline bottle. This proposed system can be utilized efficiently in homes as well as hospitals.
- MODULE -1 Monitoring and sensing the saline level
- MODULE -2 Displaying saline level (LCD)
- MODULE -3 Displaying sensor value
- MODULE -4 Notification in Application
Initially, this might be inferred as a casual phenomenon. But the consequences are often fatal. Just after the completion of saline, blood rushes back to the saline bottle due to the difference in blood pressure and pressure in the empty bottle. Thus, Innovative health monitoring systems have been developed with less human intervention which will be available at low cost in rural as well as urban areas. The proposed system aims at troubleshooting the above-mentioned problem effectively. By means of this, the nurse can monitor the amount of saline even n the control room.
An automatic saline level monitoring consists of Level sensors which are used to determine the status of liquid in the bottle whether it is normal or warning status. The detection of a saline drop level is quite faithful. The result obtained from the sensor is processed to check whether the saline bottle is empty. When the level of saline dips below a certain level, the alarm sound will be produced. In our project the LDR sensor with respect to LED light can be used to measure the saline level. The content of saline in the normal saline bottle is 100 ml. The saline bottle is replaced by another when the saline falls below 50ml. The critical level of saline is set to 50 ml so the nurse ca change the saline bag when the liquid reaches a critical point.
This proposes system which can automatically monitor the saline flow rate in a saline bottle by using a microcontroller. It can wirelessly send the data to nurses or doctors computer and display the results in the form of saline level rate, number of droplets from the saline bottle, liquid solution feeding to the patient is in ml, and remaining time is to empty the saline bottle. The system is more reliable and cost-effective .it is more convenient for nurses. It can be reused for the next saline bottle and it also beneficial for nurses as well as doctors at rural hospitals. Nurses can easily monitor the saline level from far away distance. It is more advantageous at night timing and there is no need for nurses to go to patients’ beds for continuous checking the level of saline in the bottle.
-  P.Kalaivani, T.Thamaraiselvi, G.Vegha and P.Sindhuja “Saline Level Monitoring System Using Arduino UNO Processor “Asian Journal of Applied Science and Technology (AJAST) Volume 1, March 2017.
-  Priyadharshi ni.R, Mithuna.S, Vasanth Kumar.U Dr. SuthanthiraVanitha.N, Kalpana Devi.S “Automatic Intravenous Fluid Level Indication System for Hospitals” International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology: Volume 3, Issue VIII, August 2015.
-  Dr.M.B.R.Murthy, K.Navya1, “A Zigbee Based Patient Health Monitoring System “Vol. 3, Issue 5, Sep-Oct 2013, pp.483 -486.
-  Nikita Patni, Joanne Gomes, Kavita Sakhardande “Web-Based Remote Patient Monitoring System with Integrated GSM” International Journal of Advanced Research in Electronics and Communication Engineering (IJARECE) Volume 4, Issue 4, April 2015
-  Preet Jain Electronics, Shyama Yadav “Real-time cost-effective e-saline monitoring and control system “International Conference on Control, Computing, Communication and Materials (ICCCCM) 978 -1-4673 – 9084 -2/210
Cite this essay
Saline in Medicine. (2019, Dec 09). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/saline-in-medicine-essay