Essay, Pages 2 (356 words)
1. What is a symphony?
A symphony is an elaborate musical composition for full orchestra, typically in four movements.
2. What is a sonata? How is it related to the sonata form?
A sonata is a large-scale composition that is played rather than sung.
3. What is a coda?
A coda will use music from the movement, typically doesn’t does not add anything to the “argument”.
4. What are the three different parts of the sonata form? Describe each part.
The three parts off sonata are Exposition, Development, and Recapitulation.
Exposition is the first part of the sonata, where the composer will bring in or “expose”all of the music ideas. Development is the second part of the sonata, it is where the composer builds on the two themes from the exposition. Recapitulation is the third part of the sonata, it is where exposition is repeated.
5. What are the three different periods of Beethoven’s work? Describe each part.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. What are the characteristics of the music of the Classical period?
2. How does the music of the Classical period differ from the music of the Baroque period?
Baroque music tends to be for small chamber orchestras and is usually very intricate, with many layers. Classical music tends to be for larger orchestras and for showing off virtuoso talents or entertainment rather than for praising God or presenting solemn tunes to kings, as much Baroque music was.
3. Choose one of the composers discussed in the lesson and listen to some of his work.
Which pieces did you listen to? How would you describe these pieces of music? What makes the music characteristic of the Classical era?
4. What social and cultural influences impacted the music of the Classical period? Do you think today’s music is influenced by social and cultural factors? Why or why not?
Both art and politics were great composers who knew what they were doing and their composings had amazing hits.
5. What was important about Vienna during the Classical period?
Vienna was important during the Classical period because great civilization was developed in the past and actually in classical period.