Types of information:
• Verbal communication is where somebody talks face to face with the audience and could also include eye contact and body movements, Wilberforce use verbal communication in a full range of things one example been a English teacher reading out a poem. Written
• Written communication is in the form of physical symbols called words. It doesn’t have to be words though, in the broader sense it could be things such as diagrams and charts. So therefore all visual or numerical representation can be included.
One example of Wilberforce using written communication is information booklets about the college.
• Onscreen communication is a combination of many things for example a PowerPoint, this uses a range of texts, graphics, animation and sometimes Video’s. Wilberforce use onscreen communication in presentations, usually when promoting themselves to an audience.
• Multi-media are multiple forms of media incorporated together. The Media could be a range of things such as texts, audio, graphics and animation, which is just a couple of the many things media could be.
So therefore multimedia could be on a webpage about Messi where there is a video clip of him and also audio in the background of the webpage. This links quite nicely with onscreen media and again Wilberforce may use this in presentations when promoting themselves to a particular target audience.
• Web-based communication is the use of internet, this goes hand in hand with multimedia technology as it displays the many benefits of it. The internet can be used around the world and is particularly helpful as the information can be received and read wherever you want. Wilberforce may use this to try to get a sponsor to sponsor them from different countries around the world, They may send a virtual video or even a PowerPoint trying to sell
themselves to the target audience
Name: Tom Hall
Task 1; Unit 4
Sources of information:
• Usually in great detail, relates towards a company performance. Finance could be the costs of running the business. Wilberforce would use finance in a day to day basis, they may use it to compare their profits and losses from one year to another.
• Human resources provide information about the employee in a business and training within the organisation. Such as the efficiency the employee is working at and the training needs and projections for future employment. Wilberforce may use this to comprehend their staff turnover per year.
• Marketing informs us about the results of research undertaken by a certain company. It also tells us the successful/unsuccessful previous marketing campaigns. As well as this marketing also tells us about the market the company operates within. Wilberforce use marketing by promoting themselves by sponsoring certain things such as busses or football teams.
• Purchasing provides information about the current budget each sector has in a business it also manages the current stock of a business, plus the price of the stock. It also manages the human resources with. Wilberforce may use this for example the IT department deciding upon how much they can spend on computer upgrades per year. Sales
• The revenue of sales. Helps you decide how well a business is doing, it is also good for planning for the future. Sales information keeps track of products or services that may have been sold at the business, this information will be helpful as they know what a good item to sell is and what will be making their money in their organisation. This isn’t used so much be Wilberforce college as a it is in the public sector, however in the canteen where food and drinks are sold, it’s important that they know what people want so they therefore know what to order what people prefer and how much to price the goods at.
• Manufacturing in business is usually used in the secondary sector. It is the making of products that the business buys from the company and sells on usually for a profit. Wilberforce ICollege are in the tertiary sector as they provide a service so they don’t technically manufacture anything buy they do use information about their students to build lessons around the students to make it easier for them.
• Administration is the paper work side of things where information about staff salary, recruitment and annual pay are all kept in a record by the business admin. Wilberforce College have a business admin keep records on their students and staff and also work out where money should be spent and how much should be spent per quarter.
• These are supplied by, among others, the ONS (Office of National statistics), The DTI (Department of Trade and industry) and the OECD (Organisation for economic development). Some of the key government publications include the monthly digest of statistics include the Regional trends and Labour market trends. Wilberforce College use the annual census to predict the growth of the amount of students possibly attending the college in say 4 years time, they do this by finding the population of Children around the age of 12.
• Trade groupings are groups of businesses from the same industry or marketplaces that provide a service to representatives or their industry. They can act as pressure groups to initiate positive change for their industry. They also publish trade journals, which are a very useful resource. These are published by leaders in industries for the people working in that industry. Wilberforce College are in a trade group with other colleges which can share methods of teaching to achieve the best grades possible in all colleges.
Commercially provided databases
• Many private research organisations specialise in building up databases of people who are known to have an interest in certain products and services. There are many market research agencies where lists may be purchased by businesses that wish to target these customers via direct mail. Wilberforce College use records from local schools to attract new students that are leave school and are perhaps looking to go into further education.
Reliability of data sources
• Whenever a business collects date sources, they need to determine how valid the information is. They always need to ask themselves whether it is accurate, relevant and truthful, and whether there is a bias. In Wilberforce College they have to check for reliability within the text books they buy for their students.
• Research is the gathering of data, information and facts for the advancement of knowledge. A good business always conducts research to find out about their markets, customers and views of their staff. Wilberforce College may research various ways to enhance their teaching styles. They also may research the best
methods of teaching various types of students so they can therefore get the full potential out of students.
Purpose of information:
• It is vital that businesses keep up to date with changes that are occurring within their markets. Information is required so the business know a variety of things such as, How their markets are developing, how labour markets are changing, what the economy is doing and what new laws are being passed that might affect the way they operate. All this information helps organisations to make accurate decisions based upon having full knowledge. Incorrect decisions are likely to be the result of inadequate information. This may be helpful for Wilberforce as when there is a rescission and unemployment rates are high, people are my inclined to stay in further education to boost their chances of been able to get a job.
Informing future developments
• A business which is not quick to adapt, develop and grow will find it to be incredibly hard to keep up with competitors. But developments need to be based on informed decisions. A business will not launch a new product. And example been Wilberforce has recently offered new courses such as ‘Hair and beauty’, the reasoning behind this is that it was in very high demand. This is quick development and this therefore attracted more people to Wilberforce then previously without the Salon.
Cite this page
Btec Business Unit 4 P1. (2016, Apr 06). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/btec-business-unit-4-p1-essay