Good Topics for an Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essay topics are controversial topics. In other words, this essay defends a thesis concerning which you can argue “for” and “against” something. An argumentative essay topic convinces the audience of an individual point of view and persuades it to take one side (while much attention is paid to the contradictory argument). It articulates why particular ideas are preferable and not the others.
The author conducts a kind of inner dialogue (evaluating allegations, evidences, supports, assumptions, and eevn hidden arguments and inner contradictions), and leads to the fact that one viewpoint is wiser than the other, despite the fact that other people may not share it initially.
Argumentative essays are addressing a variety of topics from socio-political to personal ones. The main thing is that the essay theme should no less than two valid viewpoints.
What constitutes the complexity of writing an argumentative essay? The writer has not only to understand a particular topic and be familiar with it, but also to have his or her own opinion on the given problem, and what is most importantly, be able to explain it. You should own a beautiful literary style and competently support your position. If when preparing a report you should simply analyze the topic-specific literature, writing an essay requires a good understanding of the problem.
Quite often such essays are given to humanitarian and economic students in a middle school or for entering college as a part of GRE exam. They help to develop the students’ ability to dwell upon, analyze, research and express their viewpoints. But for technical students such a task on the non-core subject is only a waste of efforts and time. In such a situation, it is more convenient to find ready-made essays and use them as an example. In a contemporary life, it is important to get used to divideyour time wisely and not to get distracted by minor details.
Thus, our examples of essays will not only help you in solving one of the given problems, but also give you time to practice the main subjects that are important and interesting for your future career.
On our site you will find some best sample topics of argumentative essays which will help to look at the structure or the format of such kind of writing, as well as give you some prompts to start writing your essay easily. Among the topics present there are those dealing with politics, economy, education, and culture. It is possible to use them to form the outline of your essay or as a guide to define your ideas more clearly.
List of Topics for Argumentative Essay
Good argumentative essay topics
- Malls have improved the way we shop
- Animals in the zoo. Is it fair to keep them in cages?
- Should cars be prohibited in the centers of large cities?
- Is it better to learn a foreign language in a country where it is a native language?
- Is is good to learn 2-3 foreign languages for children?
- Books and computers. Who will win in the future?
- Computer games. A benefit or waste of time?
- Pros and cons of space research
- Science experiments quickly reduce our current life.
- Military service should be mandatory
- Television is creating a new variant of culture
- Senior classes should be profiled
- Education for boys and girls should be separate
- Many people think the best way to travel is by car
- Activity is the only way to knowledge
- Conflict of generations is inevitable
- The importance of education is underestimated now.
- Work can’t bring pleasure, it is just a way to earn your living
- We are responsible for the lives of others
- Nuclear weapons have made the world a more dangerous place
- Money can buy happiness
- Worries about money are a cause of unhappiness
- The best things in life are free.
- Nowadays teenagers’ behavior is shaped more by their peers than by their parents.
- It is better to grow up in a family with lots of brothers and sisters.
- The Internet has made our life a lot easier.
- Shopping online is not safe or secure.
- Computers will soon be more intelligent than people.
- It is not possible to make a real friend online. True friendship needs face-to-face contact.
- Chat rooms are a danger for teenagers. Adults should monitor the conversations.
- In future, traditional meals will be replaced by synthetic food pills.
- People used to think that family played an important role in society, but times have changed and now the family is much less important
- Post offices should close. In the age of the Internet, they are no longer necessary
- Should a student begin a career or enter university at 18?
- Sports should only be an optional discipline at school as not all students are equally good at sports
Argumentative research essay topics
- The minimum wage in your state.
- Incest: why is this love forbidden?
- Tolerance for nudism and naturism.
- Antisemitism in the world today.
- What’s happening at the zoo? Animal abuse and problems of animals living in captivity.
- Corporal punishment.
- The impact of the Gold Rush on California’s native communities.
Interesting argumentative essay topics
- Should cigarette smoking be banned?
- Is child behavior better or worse than it was years ago?
- Does strict parenting raise well mannered children?
- Should cycling for short distances be encouraged ?
- Should athletes be held to high moral standards?
- hould there be more restriction on tracking through websites?
- Time spent on the internet is unfairly blamed for the behavior of children.
- Should schools require foreign language or physical education?
- Should everyone be required to recycle?
- Are school uniforms beneficial?
- Parents who are too protective are going to raise children who are overly dependent.
- Should medics use technology in organ transplant?
- Will the voting apathy change in the near future in US?
- Should the culture of sports be elevated in schools and colleges?
- Argue employees can be satisfied with low salary if working conditions are great.
- Students should learn a musical instrument from a tender age.
- Should music be used as therapy to relieve pain?
- Should companies try to copy what their competitors do?
- Should all energy drinks be banned?
- Does smoking help people make acquaintances?
Funny argumentative essay topics
- How to pretend to enjoy watching sports.
- Where all the mismatched socks go.
- How to break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend.
- Why standardized tests are the best.
- Why my dog is my best friend.
- Why your grandmother needs an iPhone.
- Why men should be stay-at-home dads.
- Things my mother always says.
- Why wearing braces is fun.
- Why I hate country music (or rap, classic rock, hip-hop, jazz, etc.).
Controversial argumentative essay topics
- Is the way to a man’s heart through his stomach?
- Are some political authorities engaged in illegal activities in the US?
- Should people with physical disabilities be accepted by the government?
- Can virtual reality be dangerous for kids?
- Is negative PR the secret behind Justin Bieber’s success?
- Pros and cons of Monarchy
- Society is turning over-regulated
- Is gun control an effective way to control the crime?
- Should Wikipedia give diplomas to their most faithful readers?
Argumentative essay topics for college
- The competition is a product of the rarity
- Revolution is a barbaric way to progress
- Cloning is the future of the mankind
- Religion is a justifiable wisdom
- Political fortress is strong only if it is based on a moral force.
- Open society should have open borders
- Negotiations with the tourists should not be allowed
- Unemployment contributes to the economic development
- The United Nations should enhance the protection of cultural rights
- Technical progress leads to the death of civilization
- Love is always difficult, it is a mixture of sexual and spiritual attraction
- The person should have the freedom of choice
- Nature is not a temple but a workshop, and a man is its worker
- There is an inextricable link between man and nature
- Sometimes, in order to become immortal, you have to pay the cost of your life
- The will and desire cannot be mixed
- Nature creates a human, but the society develops and forms him.
- Be mindful of your thoughts, they are the start of the actions
- Science is the truth multiplied by the question
- It should not be permitted to anyone to alter the historical truth
- The animal never comes to such a terrible fall, as a man does
- The needs are growing not only due to urgent necessity but because of capricious desires.
- Man is not a thing but a creature that can only be understood in the long process of development.
- People will be miserable without the society
- Everything that happened in the past, will be repeated again
- Freedom entails responsibility. That is why many people are afraid of it
- War is a profitable business
- Any means are good to achieve your goals
- Inflation allows everyone to feel like a millionaire
- Rich industrialized nations are responsible for global warming so it is their duty to find a remedy.
- Signs of child abuse.
Good topics for an argumentative essay
- Should Toys Be More Gender-Neutral?
- Can Cellphones Be Educational Tools?
- Are Anonymous Social Media Networks Dangerous?
- Should Couples Live Together Before Marriage?
- Should Sports Betting Be Legal Everywhere?
- Should Stores Sell Violent Video Games to Minors?
- Does Pop Culture Deserve Serious Study?
- Should Parents Bribe Their Children?
- When You Are Old Enough to Vote, Will You?
- Does It Matter Where You Go to College?
- How Necessary Is a College Education?
- Are Antismoking Ads Effective?
- Are Models Too Skinny?
- Is School Lunch Really All That Bad?
- Should You Go to Jail for Kicking a Cat?
- Should Certain Animals Have Some of the Same Legal Rights As People?
- Will Humans Live on Mars Someday?
- Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- Should Rich People Pay More Taxes?
- What Is Your Relationship With Guns?
Sometimes it is quite possible to use the quotation of some famous people as a title for your essay. Here are the examples of such citations.
- “Business is the art of extracting money from the pocket of other person without any violence.” M. Amsterdam
- “Wealth is not in possession of the treasure, but in the ability to use it.” Napoleon
- “Money is like manure: if you do not scatter it, it will not bring profit.” F.A. Hayek
- “Moderation is the wealth of the poor, greed is the poverty of the rich.” P. Cyr
- “Even the most generous man tries to pay cheap for what he buys every day.” B. Shaw
- “You do not need to learn the art of acquiring, but the art of spending.” Zh. Droz
- “If the money does not serve you, it will rule over you.” F. Bacon
- “The main purpose of the capital is not to get as much money as possible, but to ensure that money leads to a better life.” G. Ford
- “The main advantages of having money is the ability of using it.” Benjamin Franklin
- “Taxes are money collected by the government from the part of the society for the benefit of the whole people.” S. Johnson
- “A child at birth is not a man, but only the candidate of a man” A.Peron
- “The idea of freedom is related to the true nature of man” Karl Jaspers
- “Science is ruthless. It shamelessly denies the favorite and familiar delusion “N.V. Charles
- “Progress only indicates the direction of the movement, and it does not care what is at the end of the path – good or evil” J. Huizinga
- “The revolution is the transition from untruth to truth, from falsehood to truth, from justice to oppression, from deception and suffering to a straightforward honesty and happiness” Robert Owen