Where Do I Begin? Essay
Where Do I Begin?
I. Point of View
The time context is assumed to be at present, since the case is silent as to when the problem happened. There are already established private high schools in the area, but no high tuition private high school serving the segment (high income families) in particular. Prof. Bituin Abergas will establish under DEpEd Rules and Regulations for Private Schools in Basic Education. There are private elementary schools amenable about the proposal. And, private elementary schools in the area are assumed to be under a corporate form of business.
How would Professor Bituin Abergas establish a high-tuition private high school in Caabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija?
1. To conduct a feasiblity study for requirement purposes as soon as possible.
2. To be able to submit request for opening a school including the completed feasibility study to DepEd in Nueva Ecija Region.
3. To execute necessary pre-operating activities and submit documents required by the Depatment of Education.
4. To be able to commence the operation of the business by the next school year.
5. To continously provide high quality secondary level educational services and facilities.
IV. Areas of Consideration
1. High-income families in Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija.
2. Perception of the parents that real education comes with high price tag.
3. Public schools are perceived as not being able to deliver quality educational services needed.
4. Increasing demand for private school.
5. Inadequately served market segment (high-income families).
6. No high-tuition private high school serving the target area.
7. Sheer number of enrollees in public schools.
8. Opening of Montessori and private elementary schools in the area.
9. Five-year administrative experience of Prof. Bituin Abergas in private
V. Alternative Courses of Action
1. Open a Level II (Secondary) Basic Education Course in an existing private elementary school in the area. ADVANTAGES: Assurance of enrollees and a readily available location and facilities. Fewer regulatory requirements. Ease in operation. DISADVANTAGES: Possible conflict in the decision–making with the existing private elementary management. Change in the organizational set-up of management. Opening a secondary BEC requires capital investment.
2. Establish a private high-school independently.
ADVANTAGES: An independent high-school thus flexibility in operations. Lower possibility of conflict with other private schools. It will maximize the managerial skills of Professor Bituin Abergas. DISADVANTAGES: It would entail a high initial investment in location, facilities, equipment, etc., and it will require a more aggressive promotional campaigns before it operates. Tons of documents as regulatory requirements. It would take time before the school can operate.
3. Establish a branch or annex of an existing private high school. ADVANTAGES: Fewer regulatory requirements. Ease in operation. DISADVANTAGES: Establishing a branch would be time-consuming and costly. Generation of new ideas is limited. VI. Recommendation
The most feasible is to open a Level II (Secondary) Basic Education Course in an existing private elementary school in the area. Considering the assurance of enrollees from the elementary level to high school and with fewer regulatory requirements from DEpEd.
In opening a Level II(Secondary) Basic Education Course first one must conduct a feasibility study covering areas of concern; marketing, technical, human resources, financial. A thorough evaluation of potential private elementary schools willingness to establish secondary education, capacity to manage, and open to public investors. A well made feasibility study on capitalization, estimated budget, and changes in management structure must be presented. Request to open a level II Basic Education Course (BEC) must also be submitted to DEpEd Regional Office.
After the construction of new facilities, a formal application for Permit to Operate should be filed. And during the operation, Recognition of Level II BEC must be applied for. Then, to be able to continuously provide a quality secondary high-school, a strict monitoring and evaluation of the overall operation should be implemented.