THE PROBLEM AND THE BACKGROUND
Embracing students’ diversities can be projected its impart either in the advantage side or in the disadvantage side of the school. This study gives us an additional perspective in its effect of using a Non-Entrance Test Policy on their prospect incoming freshmen in college.
In the other countries in western culture and also in Australia, they usually didn’t implement any entrance examination for the incoming freshmen students.
The reason behind in it is they used a centralize system of educational assessment. They have a centralized curriculum and the quality of delivering instruction is highly guaranteed whenever a client (freshmen) chooses to enrol with. Assessing and diagnosing an incoming freshmen student is very critical in our educational system’s way of approving its preregistration. It entails the success of the student’s capability to finish his program, assessing his preparedness on experiencing collegial discourses with the program, his appropriateness and maturity with regards to the chosen program and, unfortunately, challenge his mental and emotional maturity which he acquired from his previous educational provider.
There are some instances that the reason of having entrance test is first, the scepticism on the part of admitting college doubting the entrance test taker if he received a good quality of education from his previous school and his capacity to absorb the high standard of the admitting institution. Second is if there are some inconsistency of the entrance test taker either in his academic records or with his attitude, character and mental health stability. Since the Department of Education uses the EFA or the Education For All motto encouraging all the educational providers of the country to embrace diversity of learners and implement no child left policy, the Bestlink College of the Philippines is very fortunate to implement this Non-Entrance Test Policy. Maybe we conclude that this is just a marketing strategy but, this policy can gives us either good or bad in view point of the school. This study will weigh up the impact on the school either the positive effect or the otherwise and the possible recommendation that the researcher may provide.
SIGNIFICANCE OF STUDY
The study focuses its significant impact on the following aspects:
- ADMIN AFFAIRS- the college key persons on admission can able to decide either retain the policy or modified it without compromising the school’s vision of embracing diversities of students especially the least fortunate.
- FACULTY MEMBERS- they can give an eye-view of the different facets of individualism from the profiling of the respondents in the Bestlink College of the Philippines. This study can gives them a hint on how to develop or modified their curricula in terms of usual freshmen arrive in the
- BCP.STUDENTS- they can realize the causality of this policy and it affects their academic performance as student and also as an image vessel of the school.
- RESEARCHER- the other researchers can gives them a projection in understanding the effectiveness of this policy and to develop other research that will caters a school friendly environment that will embraces diversities of learners and eventually lead to a non-discriminatory milieu in the Philippine Education settings.
The research process in divided into three phases leading to its final evaluation either the assumption of the study is achieve or not. Although the researcher was also an alumnus member of the BCP, his experiences as an alumnus is just a fraction of a subjective conclusion and still wait on its outcome. Below are the phases of study that will lead into its final weighting of the effects:
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Challenges in formulating as such, is projected by the researcher in the part of the teachers and the admitting personnel respondents. The clandestine of the omitted data is highly guaranteed as it adheres to the confidentiality clause of the Data Privacy Act of 2016. Hereunder are the statements of the problem:
- What are reasons of the school hence they implement the Non-Entrance Test Policy?
- For the freshmen respondents, what demographic class they belong to? Where do they live? Do the respondents usually get his preferred program or not?
- For the teachers, do the majority of the freshmen equip the necessary competencies needed in order for them to easily grasp or understand the terms uses in the preferred program? Why do you say so? Do you believe that implementing Non-Entrance Exam Policy is very beneficial in the part of the teacher in securing quality education? Why and why not?
- For the student services personnel, how frequent do the students change their first preferred program? Does the rate of drops outs significantly higher done the usual grade level completers? Do you encountered delinquent students frequently in the freshmen sectors? What are the usual delinquencies they committed? Overall, as admission personnel, do you prefer to use Non-Entrance Test Policy? Why and why not?
ASSUMPTIONS OR HYPOTHESIS
The researcher assumes that there is none significant effect done in the part of the school for they uses this platform as a marketing strategy lengthening their projected clients as far as they marketing tool is concern but, I do believe that the teachers may arrive to a negative conclusion on the effect of implementing this policy especially in diagnosing the cognitive level of the freshmen in dealing with the curriculum. Students and the students’ service personnel may conclude more positive to the effect but, there are some significant information that can be emphasized that contribute negatively in their academic performances and the impression of other stakeholders to the school as a whole.SCOPE AND DELIMITATION Although in the statement of the problem usually enclose between the selected students, teachers and students’ service unit of the Bestlink College of the Philippines, the total respondents that will randomly pick are mounting to 50 individuals. 35 for the freshmen students, 10 teachers and 5 from the students’ service unit. The 35 freshmen students are came from the various college program of the Bestlink College. The 10 teachers are also randomly picked from the various college programs while the 5 students’ service unit will be provided by their department head. The college programs of Bestlink are as follows: BS Business Administration, BS Office Administration, BS Accounting and Information System, BS Entrepreneurship, BS Information Technology, BS Tourism, BS Psychology, Bachelor of Library and Information System, and BS Computer Engineering. The study does not cover the Senior High School Department for this department is under the directives of the Department of Education’s Basic Education Program. While in the college level, only the College of Criminal Justice (BS Criminology) and the College of the Teacher Education (BSED and BEED) are excluded to this study for they provide their own screening procedures in accepting freshmen students. Data gathering and interview with the respondents are limited to the two great campuses in Quezon City while the Bulacan Campus is excluded in this study. The time and date of the answering the checklist and interviews are expectedly be started on January 26 and will end to February 10, 2019. DEFINITION OF TERMSB.C.P. ” refers to the Bestlink College of the Philippines, a higher educational institution established in 2003 at the heart of Novaliches, Quezon City with programs in business, computer, science and education dully recognized by the Commission on Higher Education.DATA PRIVACY ACT- a statue passed by the Congress of the Philippines which protects the vital data of an individual against breeching and identity thieving.EFA ” Education For All, is a global movement led by UNESCO, aiming to meet the learning needs for all children, youth and adults by 2015.COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAMINATION- also known as college-admissions tests, are standardized achievement and aptitude test used to predict high-school graduates’ potential for academic success in college and to either accept or deny their entry (www.enotes.com)FRESHMEN ” all incoming 1st year students in any tertiary level regardless their age, race, or cultural background.POLICY ” a set of system and procedures being craft by the institution to be implemented by the concern.
Cite this essay
Using a Non-Entrance Test Policy in College. (2019, Aug 20). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/using-a-non-entrance-test-policy-in-college-essay