Understanding Business Research Essay
Understanding Business Research
Which type of research design— exploratory, descriptive, or causal—is appropriate for the following examples? Explain why.
• The goal of this research is to discover the real nature of the problem and to suggest new possible solutions or new ideas.
Exploratory – This is exploratory because the researcher does not know the actual problem he will have to search for the solution
• A food manufacturer wants to know the demographics of people who purchase organic foods.
Descriptive – This is descriptive because the researcher knows which group of people he will be researching.
• A firm is considering hiring American celebrity Paris Hilton to endorse its products.
Casual – this is casual research because the researcher is comparing two variable but in this case the variables are the cause and the result.
• British Airways would like to test in-flight Internet services on one of its regular flights from New York to Tokyo. The company charges $30 one week and $15 the next week.
Casual – this is casual research because the researcher is comparing two variables.
• This type of study attempts to discover answers to the following questions: who, what, when, where, or how much.
Descriptive – This is descriptive because they researcher knows exactly what needs to be researched to fix the problem.
• A manufacturer investigates whether consumers will buy a new pill that replaces eating a meal.
Exploratory – This is exploratory because the researcher has to explore the options of the consumer liking the new product.
• Cosmopolitan magazine sends out a cover in selected markets featuring a female model to half of its readers and a cover with a female and male model to the other half of its readers to test differences in purchase response between the two groups.
Casual – This is casual research because it is between two variables and they are looking for feedback on which the public liked more.
• A hair-care manufacturer interviews wholesalers, retailers, and customers to determine the potential for a new shampoo package.
Exploratory – This is exploratory because the researcher is looking for a solution to fix any problems customers have with existing shampoos.
• This type of research attempts to capture a population’s characteristics by making inference from a sample’s characteristics and testing hypotheses.
Descriptive – This is descriptive because the researcher knows where to look for the solution to this problem.
• On the CBS television show Undercover Boss, top executives disguised as middle level or lower level employees investigate company departments to discover potential issues or problems.
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 16 December 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Understanding Business Research
for only $16.38 $12.9/page