The Cask of Amontillado Essay
The Cask of Amontillado
1. How does the author want the reader to feel while reading “The Cask of Amontillado”? I think the author wants the readers to feel suspense and anxious to know what’s going to happen next. I felt anxious trying to figure what Montresor was going to do to Fortunato, I didn’t expect him to intoxicate him with wine and basically bury him alive.
2. What techniques does the author use to help you visualize the place, the people, and the events that are taking place within the story? The author describes everything very well. He describes what Fortunato is wearing, he describes the vaults and what is inside and around them, the stench inside the vaults, and he uses many adjectives and uses imagery.
3. How has the author described the characters to make them seem like real people? Throughout the short story the author describes what they are wearing and how they are feeling.
4. Does the author expect the reader to make an emotional connection to the story? Explain your answer. I don’t think so, I could never give someone revenge just because they have been insulting me for so long. But I think if you have had previous bullying of such kind then you would want revenge. Towards the end though I did have an emotional connection because Montresor felt guilty of what he was doing to Fortunato and I felt bad for Fortunato as well.
5. Think back to the events that take place in “The Cask of Amontillado,” and think about the attitudes and actions of the characters. Now, write a theme statement for “The Cask of Amontillado.” I think that a good theme statement would be that revenge is not always the right way to handle things. Because Montresor was killing his friend, he felt guilt.