1. How does the author desire the reader to feel while reading “The Cask of Amontillado”? I believe the author desires the readers to feel suspense and distressed to understand what’s going to occur next. I felt anxious attempting to figure what Montresor was going to do to Fortunato, I didn’t expect him to intoxicate him with wine and essentially bury him alive.
2. What methods does the author usage to assist you envision the place, the people, and the events that are taking location within the story? The author describes whatever extremely well.
He describes what Fortunato is wearing, he explains the vaults and what is inside and around them, the stink inside the vaults, and he utilizes numerous adjectives and uses images.
3. How has the author explained the characters to make them look like genuine individuals? Throughout the narrative the author describes what they are wearing and how they are feeling.
4. Does the author expect the reader to make an emotional connection to the story? Explain your answer.
I don’t think so, I could never give someone revenge just because they have been insulting me for so long. But I think if you have had previous bullying of such kind then you would want revenge. Towards the end though I did have an emotional connection because Montresor felt guilty of what he was doing to Fortunato and I felt bad for Fortunato as well.
5. Think back to the events that take place in “The Cask of Amontillado,” and think about the attitudes and actions of the characters. Now, write a theme statement for “The Cask of Amontillado.” I think that a good theme statement would be that revenge is not always the right way to handle things. Because Montresor was killing his friend, he felt guilt.
Cite this page
The Cask of Amontillado. (2016, Mar 13). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/the-cask-of-amontillado-essay