The Carter case assignment Essay
The Carter case assignment
1) Make a list of five specific HR problems you think carter cleaning will have to grapple with
1) Recruitment and selection of new employees as they are expanding. 2) Training and development of the new recruited employees.
3) Appraisal of their performance
4) Compensating the new employees
2) What would you do first if you were Jennifer?
First I would hire a consultant in order to start the business expansion in a proper way
I would also try to know why there is a high level of employee’s turnover.
1)What should be the format and final form of the store manager’s job description?
The job description should include:-
-The name and level of the job (job identification)
-A summary of the job.
-Responsibilities and duties.
-Authority of incumbent
-Standards of performance
2)Is it practical to specify standards and procedures in the body of the job description, or should these be kept separate?
I don’t believe it is practical to include the standards and procedures in the body of the job description. I believe it would be kept with the orientation and standard operations database. 3)How should Jennifer go about collecting the information required for the standards, procedures and job description? I think she should interview employees doing the job and have written all tasks being performed by the employee. She can also hand out some application asking them to write their job.
4)What, in your opinion, should the store manager’s job description look like and contain?
The store manager’s job description should in my opinion include the name of the job, the responsibilities of the store manager, his span of control and authority level, the working conditions such as number of hours and the Knowledge, skills and abilities needed for this job.
1. Would you recommend that the company expand their quality program? If so, specifically what form should it take?
Meeting with the employees directly is a good way to get the accurate feedback from them in order to increase the involvement of the employees in an organization. There can be many opportunities for the Carter Company for improving the level of their human capital. For instance, giving training to the employees so that they can become aware of the basic values, standards and methods and procedures of an organization etc.
2. Assume the company wants to institute a high performance work system as a test program in one of its stores. Write a one-page outline summarizing what such a program would consist of.
* Those types of HR practices should be implement to which improve quality, productivity, financial efficiency. * Procedures for job enhancement; strategies for implementing and influence a team-based organization. * Methods to put into practice and make possible high dedication labor practices; development of employee and capability building to promote enlarged skill and ability in the workforce. * A reimbursement plan which provides incentives, for instance, sharing of profit; pay for task for achieving chief goals and financial targets.
What should be the format and final form of the store manager’s job description? 1. There is no format or final form but the store manager’s job description should include:
* Job Identification
* Job Summary
* Responsibilities and Duties
* Authority of incumbent
* Standards of performance
* Working conditions
* Job specifications
First, how would you recommend we go about reducing the turnover in our stores?
2.Recognize Good Performance
Provide a detailed list of recommendations concerning how we should go about increasing our pool of acceptable job applicants so we no longer face the need to hire almost anyone who walks in door At first we create a detailed list with all requirements we need for the job. There are different strategies to find suitable employees: *
Unsuitable for us, because we need a permanent staff before we can promote someone.
If we know somebody who did a good job and want to come back. It’s a win-win situation.
* Recruiting via internet
The most people nowadays use the internet to find suitable jobs. For this reason it is important for us to have a good internet presentation, which includes our homepage, Online Recruiting Job Boards and Social Media Websites. If we want to recruit new applicants over the internet, it is important to formulate a detailed list with all requirements the applicant need for the job.
* The media
The classical way is to place an ad in the local newspaper.
In general, what can Jennifer do to improve her employee interviewing practices? Should she develop interview forms that list questions for management and non-management jobs, and if so what form should these take and what questions should be included? Should she initiate a computer-based interview approach, and if so why and specifically, how? Carter Cleaning Company has an inadequate, unstructured way of interviewing and hiring.. One solution students could suggest is to utilize a structured interview guide such as the one provided in Figure 7-1 as an example of a tool that managers could use to improve their interviewing practices. Have students brainstorm a list of questions to be included in the structured interview guide. A computer-based approach is also a possibility; students should explore the pros and cons of this given the nature of the organization and weigh the cost/benefit of utilization of this technology.
2. Should she implement a training program for her managers, and if so, specifically what should be the content of such an interview training program? In other words, if she did decide to start training her management people to be better interviewers, what should she tell them and how should she tell it to them? The obvious answer to this question is yes, a training program should be designed and delivered. Students should include suggestions from the section on designing and conducting interview effective interviews, including training in preparation, utilization of a structured interview process, and interviewing techniques discussed in this chapter. She should educate managers in the potential pitfalls that come up in the interviewing process as outlined in the text, and provide opportunity for practice with mock interviews in the training session so that managers get an opportunity to use the skills they learn and become comfortable with the process.
1.Is Jennifer right about the need to evaluate the workers formally? The managers? Why or why not? In my opinion, Jennifer is more than right regarding the need for formal assessment of employees. Mel’s approach based on simple evaluation of timely fulfillment of working duties by the employees might reduce motivation and lead to high turnover because of little progress for certain employees (Bohlander & Snell, 2009). Use of formal criteria of performance evaluation and provision of well-grounded feedback on the results of performance review is going to lead to many significant improvements regarding employee compensation, recruitment, improvement of performance of the whole company, etc. Formal evaluation of workers will also reduce potential subjectivity bias regarding employee performance. In case of performance assessment involving elements of 360 degree feedback or similar approaches (Linman, 2004),
2.Develop a performance appraisal method for the workers and managers in each store. I would use the 360 degrees method as the amount of employees is limited 50 % of the mark would be on the behavioral traits and 50 % would be on the performance such as Training and recruiting of other employees, Management of accounts and tasks, Efficiency in meeting goals, Professional development, Honesty, Integrity, customer relations, peers relations and attitude.
1.What would be the advantages to carter cleaning of setting up a career planning program?
Career planning- the deliberate process through which someone becomes aware of personal skills, interests, knowledge, motivations, and other characteristics and establish action plans to attain specific goals. If the Carter Cleaning Company setting up a career planning program the company receives advantages such as improve leadership skills, keeping career on track, dealing with career problems, to help achieve educational targets effectively and also help to evaluate personality. A well-planned career helps to achieve goals. As time passes by, growth and needs change. On my mind, every employee in the company must participate in the career planning program because through this program employees achieve formal education, utilize development opportunities, establish goals, assess
2.Who should participate in the program? All employees? Selected employees? I think all employees should participate in this program.
3.Outline and describe the career development program you would propose for the cleaners, pressers, counter people, and the managers at the Carter cleaning centers I think there should be five levels in the organization the least is helper then technician (presser, cleaner) then supervisor (counter people) then manager then the top management advisors.