TCP/IP LAN Checkpoint Questions Essay
TCP/IP LAN Checkpoint Questions
1. An IPv6 address is made up of how many bits?
An IPv6 address is made up of 128 bits.
2. The subnet mask of an IP address does which of the following? The subnet mask defines network and host portions of an IP address.
3. If a protocol is routable, which TCP/IP layer does it operate at? A routable protocol operates at the Internetwork layer of TCP/IP.
4. Which of the following is a private IP address and can’t be routed across the Internet? The IP address 172.19.243.254 falls within one of the IP address ranges reserved for private uses by Internet standards groups.
5. Which TCP/IP model layer takes a large chunk of data from the Application layer and breaks it into smaller segments? The Transport layer of the TCP/IP model breaks data from the Application layer into smaller segments.
6. Which of the following protocols resolves logical addresses to physical addresses? The Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) is the telecommunications protocol that resolves logical addresses to physical addresses.
7. Which of the following protocols provides connectionless service? (Choose all that apply.) Both the IP and UDP protocols provide connectionless service where the host can send a message without establishing a connection with the recipient first.
8. If you want to design an Application-layer protocol that provides fast, efficient communication and doesn’t work with large amounts of data, what Transport-layer protocol would you design it to use?
9. Which of the following is the term for identifying packets used by TCP to establish a connection? A three-way or TCP handshake establishes a connection by requiring both the client and server exchange acknowledgment
packets before actual data communication begins.
10. What is the term for each grouping of 8 bits in an IP address? The term for a grouping of 8 bits in an IP address is octet.
11. When using TCP/IP, which of the following must computers on the same logical network have in common? (Choose all that apply.) In TCP/IP, both the Network ID and the subnet mask must be in common for all computers on the same logical network.
12. Which of the following IPv6 features is an enhancement to IPv4? (Choose all that apply.) Both IPv4 and IPv6 are connectionless communication but IPv6 features a larger address space and built-in security.
13. Which protocol can configure a computer’s IP address and subnet mask automatically? The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is responsible for assigning dynamic IP addresses and subnet masks to devices on a network.
14. How many bits must be reallocated from host ID to network ID to create 16 subnets? 28?
15. For the Class C network address 192.168.10.0, which of the following subnet masks provides 32 subnets? For the Class C network address 192.168.10.0, the subnet mask 255.255.255.248 provides 32 subnets.
16. How many host bits are necessary to assign addresses to 62 hosts? You need 6 host bits to assign addresses to 62 hosts.
17. Which IP addressing process enables workstations to use private IP addresses to access the Internet? The Network Address Translation (NAT) process enables workstations to use private IP addresses to access the Internet because it translates an IP address used within one network to a different IP address known within another network.
18. When a Windows computer is configured to use DHCP but no DHCP server is
available, what type of address is configured automatically for it? Automation Private IP Addressing (APIPA) is a feature of Windows-based operating systems that lets a computer automatically assign itself an IP address when there is no DHCP server.
19. Which of the following represents a valid IPv6 address?
2001:345:abcd::BEEF:44 represents a valid IPv6 address.
20. Which of the following is a reason to subnet? (Choose all that apply.) Two reasons to use subnet are that networks can be divided into logical groups and that subnetting can decrease the size of broadcast domains.
21. Which of the following Application-layer protocols typically uses the UDP Transport layer protocol? (Choose all that apply.) Both the Dynamic Name System (DNS) and the DHCP use the UDP Transport layer protocol within the Application layer.
22. Which is the correct order of headers, from left to right, in a completed frame? The correct order of a complete frame is: Frame, IP, UDP.
23. Which of the following is a task performed by the Network access layer? (Choose all that apply.) The Network access layer verifies that incoming frames have the correct destination MAC address, along with transmitting and receiving bit signals.
24. What field of the IP header does the Tracert program use to get the IP address of routers in the path? The Tracert program uses the Time-to-Live (TTL) IP header to get the IP address of the routers in the path.
25. Which of the following is not found in a connectionless Transport-layer protocol? (Choose all that apply.)
Neither the three-way handshake nor acknowledgements are found in a connectionless Transport layer protocol.