Software Engineering Essay
Like most of the things, quality attracts the person it signifies the performance and appearance of the product. It matters a lot of the standards in a business for the outcome of the products. Just like this, Software has also good quality requirements and better ways to ensure its outcome. The following are the measurement methods and acceptance criteria for assessing the characteristics of the software:
1. Software Engineering Culture and Ethics – Ethics can play a significant role in software quality, the culture, and the attitudes of software engineers.
2. Value and Costs of Quality – The notion of “quality” is not as simple as it may seem. The customer will have some maximum cost in mind, in return for which it is expected that the basic purpose of the software will be fulfilled.
3. Models and Quality Characteristics – [Boe78; McC77] ISO/IEC has definedthree related models of software product quality (internal quality, external quality, and quality in use) (ISO9126-01) and a set of related parts (ISO14598-98).
Software Quality Management Processes defines processes, process owners, and requirements for those processes, measurements of the process and its outputs, and feedback channels. It involves: (1) Defining the required product in terms of its quality characteristics. (2) Planning the processes to achieve the required product.
Through this we can assure Software Quality, this means ensuring that the problem is clearly and adequately stated and that the solution’s requirements are properly defined and expressed. And then we can verify and validate for assessing the intermediate products. For purposes of brevity, reviews and audits are treated as a single topic in this Guide. Five types of reviews or audits are presented in the IEEE1028-97 standard:
1. Management reviews
2. Technical reviews
Of course the management also has to review the software, the purpose it is to monitor progress, determine the status of plans and schedules, confirm requirements and their system allocation, or evaluate the effectiveness of management approaches used to achieve fitness for purpose. After this is the technical review to evaluate a software product to determine its suitability for its intended use. During the technical review the management should also inspect to detect and identify software product anomalies. The audit is to provide an independent evaluation of the conformance of software and processes to applicable regulations, standards, guidelines, plans, and procedures. The definition of Software Engineering is broad, so it needs to discuss its disciplines which it shares common boundary. These are two Related Disciplines:
1. An informative definition (when feasible)
2. A list of knowledge areas
Related Disciplines Areas:
1. Computer Engineering – computer engineering embodies the science and technology of design, construction, implementation and maintenance of software and hardware components of modern computing systems and computer-controlled equipment.
2. Computer Science – identifies the following list of knowledge areas (identified as areas in the report) for computer science.
5. Project Management – is the application of knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to project activities to meet project requirements.
6. Quality Management – is defined in ISO 9000-2000 as “coordinated activities to direct and control an organization with regard to quality.”
7. Software Ergonomics – the field of ergonomics is defined by ISO Technical Committee 159 on Ergonomics as follows: “Ergonomics or (human factors) is the scientific discipline concerned with the understanding of the interactions among human and other elements of a system, and the profession that applies theory, principles, data and methods to design in order to optimize human well-being and overall system performance.
8. Systems Engineering – is an interdisciplinary approach and means to enable the realization of successful systems.