Sexually Transmitted Dse
Sexually Transmitted Dse
What Are STDs?
STDs are sexually transmitted diseases. This means they are most often — but not exclusively — spread by sexual intercourse. HIV, chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, some forms of hepatitis, syphilis, and trichomoniasis are STDs. STDs used to be called venereal diseases or VD. They are among the most common contagious diseases. More than 65 million Americans have an incurable STD. Each year, 15.3 million new cases are reported; half of these infections are lifelong.
* You have more than one sex partner.
* You have sex with someone who has had many partners.
* You don’t use a condom when having sex.
* You share needles when injecting intravenous drugs.
* You trade sex for money or drugs.
HIV and herpes are chronic conditions that can be managed but not cured. Hepatitis B also may become chronic but can be managed. You may not realize you have certain STDs until you have damage to your reproductive organs (rendering you infertile), your vision, your heart, or other organs. Having an STD may weaken the immune system leaving you more vulnerable to other infections. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is a complication of gonorrhea and chlamydia that can leave women unable to have children. It can even kill you. If you pass an STD to your newborn child, the baby may suffer permanent harm or death.
What Causes STDs?
STDs include just about every kind of infection. Bacterial STDs include chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis. Viral STDs include HIV, genital herpes, genital warts (HPV), and hepatitis B. Trichomoniasis is caused by a parasite. The germs that cause STDs hide in semen, blood, vaginal secretions, and sometimes saliva. Most of the organisms are spread by vaginal, anal, or oral sex, but some, such as those that cause genital herpes and genital warts, may be spread through skin contact. You can get hepatitis B by sharing personal items, such as toothbrushes or razors, with someone who has it.
STDs caused by bacteria
* Chancroid (Haemophilus ducreyi)
* Chlamydia (Chlamydia trachomatis)
* Gonorrhea (Neisseria gonorrhea)
* Granuloma inguinale (Calymmatobacterium granulomatis)
* Lymphogranuloma venereum (Chlamydia trachomatis)
* Syphilis (Treponema pallidum)
STDs caused by viruses
* Genital herpes (herpes simplex virus)
* Genital warts (human papillomavirus virus [HPV])
* Hepatitis B and D, and infrequently, A*,C*,E* (hepatitis viruses, types A-E) * HIV/AIDS (human immunodeficiency virus [HIV virus])
* Molluscum contagiosum* (poxvirus)
STD caused by protozoan
* Trichomoniasis (Trichomonas vaginalis)
STD’s* caused by fungi
* Jock itch (Tenia cruris)*
* Yeast infections* (Candida albicans)
STD’s caused by parasites
* Pubic lice or crabs (Pediculosis pubis)
* Scabies* Sarcoptes scabiei
Subject: Human sexuality,
University/College: University of Chicago
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 6 November 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Sexually Transmitted Dse
for only $16.38 $12.9/page