Sample Outline for Case Study Essay
Sorry, but copying text is forbidden on this website!
I. Introduction: Overview of the type of substance abuse issue you are focusing upon, its impact (on society and this agency) and your interest in this agency. (Tip: Open with something shocking or startling which will grab your reader’s attention. Look at some of the articles you have read to get ideas.)
A. The agency/program you choose to examine and why
B. History of the agency/program
C. Current data on agency/program: size, number of personnel, service area, mission, etc
D. Who you spoke to in the agency/program
E. Conclusion you came to after conducting your initial interviews 1. What is the challenge this agency faces in regard to substance abuse?
III. Issue you discovered
A. Thought provoking discussion of the issue and what problems it causes
1. Challenges for society in general
2. Challenges for the agency/program
3. Challenges for those in the agency/program
4. Possible solutions or ways to address this problem that occurred to you before doing the research
IV. Your research
A. Articles you examined which relate to this issue
B. Findings of those articles
C. How you feel these findings relate to your agency/program and
D. Follow-up interview
1. What did your interviewee say about your findings? 2. How might your findings relate to this agency? E. Thoughtful discussion of your conclusion(s) about how this issue should be handled, based upon your findings and your follow-up interview F. Wrap this part of your paper up in a compelling manner – perhaps refer back to the “shocking” part of your introduction
Your assessment of this case study
A. The procedures – what worked, what didn’t?
What you learned
How this assignment has impacted your career goals
• Be sure you establish credibility of your interviewee and authors of scholarly articles you cite in your paper!
• Be sure you cite and discuss a minimum of two scholarly articles in this paper – you may use other sources, but must use at least two scholarly references!