Once upon a time, there was a kingdom named Prambanan. The people lived there peacefully. But suddenly, the kingdom of Prambanan was attacked and occupied by Pengging kingdom. Because of that, Prambanan was ruled by Bandung Bandowoso from Pengging kingdom. He was a king and had supernatural power. His soldiers were both humans and genies. Bandung Bandowoso fell in love with Roro Jonggrang, a beautiful daughter from the king of Prambanan, and he wanted to marry her. Roro Jonggrang was shocked to hear that. She didn’t like Bandung Bandowoso because he had killed her father. She wanted to refuse his love but she afraid. She thought and thought. And then she found one way to refuse Bandung Bandowoso’s love by asked Bandung Bandowoso to make one thousand temples and two wells in one night.
Bandung Bandowoso accepted the requirement. And when the night came, Bandung Bandowoso gathered his genies and asked them to make one thousand temples. And the genies immediately made the temples very quickly. Roro Jonggrang got worried when she saw how quick the genies built the temples. And then she thought hardly to make the genies stop working. She would make the genies stop their work by gathering the servants of Prambanan kingdom to burn straw, ring the dimples, and lay all the flowers.
The genies left their work because Roro Jonggrang succeeded to make the night into morning by burning the straw, the rooster had crow. And in the morning, Bandung Bandowoso urged Roro Jonggrang to see all the temples. Roro Jonggrang counted the temples one by one, and there were only 999 temples. “I’m sorry, I can’t marry you. There’s only 999 temples,” said Roro Jonggrang. Bandung Bandowoso got angry. “So, you will complete all the temples, Roro Jonggrang.” And then Bandung Bandowoso cursed Roro Jonggrang became a temple named Lara Jonggrang that means “the slim woman”.
Questions from “Roro Jonggrang” Story
1. Who did attack the Prambanan kingdom?
2. Who was Roro Jonggrang?
She was a beautiful daughter from a king of Prambanan.
3. Why did Roro Jonggrang dislike Bandung Bandowoso?
Because Bandung Bandowoso had killed her father.
4. What was Roro Jonggrang asked to Bandung Bandowoso as she wanted to refuse his love? She asked him to make one thousand temples and two wells in one night.
5. What did Bandung Bandowoso do to fulfil Roro Jonggrang’s requirement? He gathered his genies and asked them to make one thousand temples.
6. Why did Roro Jonggrang get worried when she saw how quick the genies built the temples? Because she didn’t want Bandung Bandowoso to finish his work.
7. What trick did Roro Jonggrang use to make the genies stop working? She gathered the servants of Prambanan kingdom to burn straw, ring the dimples, and lay all the flowers to make the night into morning.
8. How many temples Bandung Bandowoso and the genies had built? 999 temples.
9. What did Bandung Bandowoso do after he got angry?
He cursed Roro Jonggrang became a temple to complete all the temples.
10. What is the moral value of the story?
Don’t cheat, because it will be repaid later.
University/College: University of Arkansas System
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 31 October 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Roro Jonggrang
for only $16.38 $12.9/page