Review Questions Essay
1. What does the word “processing” in data processing mean? A process is any manipulation of data, usually with the goal of producing information.
2. Give three examples in which raw data also serves as useful information.
3. Give three business examples (not mentioned in the text) of data that must be processed to provide useful information.
4. Give three examples of subsystems not operating in the context of IT. Why are these considered subsystems and not systems? Account Payable – records information about money that organization owes to suppliers and service providers General Ledger– records current transactions
Account Receivable– records sums owed to the organization and by whom each subsystem has a well-defined goal. Together, the subsystems make up the organization’s accounting system.
5. How do TPSs and DSSs differ?
Transaction Processing Systems (TPSs) is any system that records transactions; Decision Support Systems (DSSs) is the information system that aids managers in making decisions based on built-in models. 6. What is a problem? Give an example of a business problem and discuss how a computer-based information system could solve it. A problem is any undesirable situation. Both problem-solving and decision-making require information gathering the right information efficiently, storing it so that it can be used and manipulated as necessary, and using it to help an organization achieve its business goals are the keys to success. 7. What is synergy? How is synergy accomplished when a person uses a computer? Explain the connection between synergy and increased productivity.
Synergy (from Greek “To work together”) is the attainment of output, when two factors work together, that is greater or better than the sum of their products when they were separately. 8. “An information system consists of hardware and software.” Why is this statement inadequate? An information system has become synonymous with a computer-based information system that computers collect, store, and process data into information according to instructions people provide via computer programs. 9. In which situations does one need to make a decision? Give three examples not mentioned in the chapter. What if we purchase raw materials overseas?
What if we merge our warehouses?
What if we double our shifts and cut our staff?
10. How can a DSS help make decisions?
Organizations often build information systems specifically designed to help make decisions. 11. Note the word “support” in decision support systems. Why these applications are not called decision-making systems? Because they have neither the time nor the resources to study and absorb long, detailed reports of data and information, organizations often build information systems specifically designed to help make decisions. 12. Who is considered a knowledge worker? Will you have a career as a knowledge worker? Explain. Hardware and software platforms, products, and applications System analyst – proven knowledge in advanced operating and personal computer systems; must have a thorough understanding in multiple
13. What is the most prevalent type of information system? Why this type of is IS so ubiquitous? Supply Chain Management System; the term “supply Chain” refers to the sequence of activities involved in producing and selling a product or service. 14. TPSs are usually used at the boundaries of the organization. What are boundaries in this context? Give three examples of boundaries. TPSs the predominant function of TPSs is to record data collected at the boundaries of organizations, in other words, at the point where the organization transacts business with other parties. They also record many of the transactions that take place inside an organization. Automatic Teller Machine (ATM)
15. Among IT professionals, the greatest demand is for network administrators and analysts. Why? Because they are among the top 25 percent of the best-paying jobs.
Subject: Decision making,
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 20 November 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Review Questions
for only $16.38 $12.9/page