Religion and Filipino Mothers Essay
Religion and Filipino Mothers
Rizal’s Reminders on Equality, Self – Respect and True Spirit of Religion
1. The tyranny of some is possible only through cowardice and negligence on the part of others.
2. What makes one contemptible is lack of dignity and abject fear of one who holds one in contempt.
3. Ignorance is servitude, because as a man thinks, so he is; a man who does not think for himself and allows himself to be guided by the thought of another is like a beast led by a halter,
4. He who loves his independence must first aid his fellowman, because he who refuses protection to others will find himself without it.
5. If the Filipina will not change her mode of being, let her rear no more children, let her merely give birth to them. She must cease to be the mistress of the home, otherwise she will unconsciously betray husband, child, native, land and all.
6. All men are born equal, naked, without bonds. God did not create man to be a slave; nor did he endow him with intelligence to have him hoodwinked or adorn him with reason to have deceived by others.
7. Consider well what kind of religion they are teaching you. See whether it is the will of God or according to the teachings of Christ that the poor be succored and those who suffer alleviated.
In summary, Rizal ‘s Letter To the Young Women of Malolos focused on five major points (Zaide & Zaide, 1999)
1. Filipino mothers should teach their children love of God, country and fellowman.
2. Filipino mothers should be glad and honored, like Spartan mothers to
offer their sons in defense of their country.
3. Filipino women should know how to protect their dignity and honor.
4. Filipino women should educate themselves aside from retaining their good radical values.
5. Faith is not merely reciting prayers and wearing religious pictures. It is living the real Christian way with good morals and manners.
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 30 December 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Religion and Filipino Mothers
for only $16.38 $12.9/page