Promote Good Practice in Handling Information Essay
Promote Good Practice in Handling Information
1. Identify legislation and codes of practice that relate to handling information in health and social care.
2. Summarise the main points of legal requirements and codes of practice for handling information in health and social care.
I have found 4 legislations that support handling information in health and social care.
1.Data Protection Act
2.Freedom of Information Act
4.Human Rights Act.
Article 8 states of the Human rights act states
1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
This means that an individual’s wish to protect his or her privacy must be balanced against the needs of the relevant public authority to obtain or use specified information.
Outcome 2:- Be able to implement good practice in handling information.
1.Describe features of manual and electronic information storage systems that help maintain security.
*Ensuraing cupboards that contain personal informatio are locked at all times. *Creating passwords on computers and locking them when inactive. *Only giving out minimal information over the telephone unless im absolutely sure that i am speaking to the next of kin or a GP.
*Checking other professionals ID’s on entering the building. *Ensuring each person signs in and out of the building so i know where they are are in the event of a fire.
2. Demonstrate practices that ensure seciruity when storing and accessing information.
*Locking the file cupboard after use with a set of keys that only a senior members of staff and nurses have. This is good practice that ensures security. Also locking the drug trolleys through all rounds.
3. Maintain records that are up to date complete accurate and legible.
*On all entries of paperwork weather it be in care plans, daily updates or food and fluid charts, it is vital that they must state a date, time and signature in black ink. All information must be clear, consice be truthful and to the point.
Outcome 3 – Be able to support others to handle information.
*I can do this by reminding my collegues of how impotant it is to lock cupboards immediately after use which store personal records and inforamtion, each person has there own folder with they’re information in. Making sure all stickers off blister packs and medicines are destroyed before disposal is also just as important.
2. Informing new members of staff and demonstrating completion of paperwork such as food and fluid charts for example makes people aware of the importance and security for the residents. I always tell my colleagues to ask if they are unsure and i will do my best to help and if i cannot help i will find some who can help and also learn from it myself.
Subject: Human rights,
University/College: University of Arkansas System
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 20 October 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Promote Good Practice in Handling Information
for only $16.38 $12.9/page