Operating System Essay
1. What is the application Zenmap GUI typically used for? Describe a scenario in which you would use this type of application.
Zenmap is an application that is used to scan ports for networks. A scenario where it can be used is to scan the ports of a network to know exactly which ports are opened or closed thus allowing a network administrator to reduce the vulnerability of its network.
2. Which application is used for Step 2 in the hacking process to perform a vulnerability assessment scan? Nessus.
3. What must you obtain before you begin the ethical hacking process or penetration test on a live production network, even before performing the reconnaissance step?
One must obtain a signed authorization form showing exactly what kind of test you are authorized to perform.
4. What is a CVE listing? Who hosts and who sponsors the CVE database listing website?
CVE listing is a dictionary of publicly known information security vulnerabilities and exposures. IT is hosted by the Office of Cybersecurity and Communications at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
5. Can Zenmap GUI detect which operating systems are present on IP servers and workstations? Which option includes that scan?
Yes, the OS detection using TCP/IP stack fingerprinting option includes that scan.
6. If you have scanned a live host and detected that it is running Windows XP workstation OS, how would you use this information for performing a Nessus vulnerability assessment scan? One can use this information to create a policy of vulnerabilities that you want Nessus to scan for on that specific
7. Once a vulnerability is identified by Nessus, where can you check for more information regarding the identified vulnerability, exploits, and the risk mitigation solution?
You can check the report generated by Nessus, specifically in the hostname plugin ID which will give you a detailed description of the vulnerability found along with possible mitigation solutions.
8. What is the major difference between Zenmap GUI and Nessus?
The major difference between Zenmap GUI and Nessus is that Zenmap only a scanner that maps a network and gives you information about open ports but Nessus is a vulnerability scanner than scans a network and gives a report on how vulnerable that specific port is. The main difference is one gives a report on how to fix a vulnerability in a port while the other doesn’t.
9. Why do you need to run both Zenmap GUI and Nessus to perform the first three steps of the hacking process?
You need both Zenmap GUI and Nessus to perform the first 3 steps of the hacking process because Zenmap GUI and Nessus are used to perform different tasks and steps in the hacking process therefore you would not be able to perform the first 3 steps effectively using only one software. Both are needed.