New Age Constructions Essay
New Age Constructions
New Age is a building construction organisation based in Bangalore. The organisation, which was established in the year 2005, is relatively new in this sector. The activities of the organisation are limited to Bangalore. There are a number of well-established builders in Bangalore. Therefore, initially New Age found it difficult to obtain large projects and undertook only small building projects. However, recently, New Age has got a lucrative contract for building a large shopping mall. The organisation finds the contract to be a stepping stone of its future success. Therefore, it is striving to deliver the project on time and within the planned budget. The organisation has hired Mr. Sinha as the project manager.
To carry out the assigned project, Mr. Sinha has emphasised on three principles of project management including the principle of project strategy, the principle of team building, and the principle of satisfaction. During the project, Mr. Sinha communicated the relevant project information to all the team members. However, he did not prioritise maintaining a thorough documentation of the entire project.
Seven months into the project, Mr. Sinha faced some major issues. He was asked by the management of the organisation to provide a complete project report on a day-to-day basis. Moreover, it was also noticed that he used some extra human resource, which affected the project’s cost management as well. Mr. Sinha did not even consider the triple constraints of the project Questions:
a. As a project manager of New Age, which knowledge areas and principles would you like to follow the most?
b. Do you think considering the triple constraints would have helped Mr. Sinha? Justify your answer.
a. Summarise the various knowledge areas and principles in brief you would follow as a project manager of New Age
b. Give your opinion if triple constraints would have helped Mr. Sinha Provide justification for the opinion
2. Describe the five phases of a generic project lifecycle. (unit 1) [Describe each phase of a project lifecycle]
3. Write short notes on: Work breakdown structure Product line analysis Capital rationing Challenges in Social Cost Benefit Analysis (SCBA)
[Work breakdown structure Product line analysis Capital rationing Challenges in Social Cost Benefit Analysis (SCBA)]
4. How would you classify the sources of financing infrastructure projects?[State the meaning of source of finance,
Explain the external and Domestic sources of finance available in the infrastructure financing List financing sources available for infrastructure projects in India in tabular format]
5. Discuss the different types of project termination.
6. How is a monitoring system designed?
[Explain what is done in each step of the process of designing a monitoring system]
PM0011 – PROJECT PLANNING AND SCHEDULING
1. Write short note on: Controlling PMO (Project Management Office )
Bottom-up approach for estimating project planning Consequences of project delays Partnering [Controlling PMO (Project Management Office ) Bottom-up approach for estimating project planning Consequences of project delays Partnering]
2. Explain various stages of project scope management.
[Briefly describe each stage of scope management]
3. Write short notes on :
Scope change Porter model used by organisations to identify investment opportunities Tools for Project Scheduling Operating Feasibility
[Scope change Porter model used by organisations to identify investment opportunities Tools for Project Scheduling Operating Feasibility]
4. Explain the various tools of project planning.
[Briefly mention the role of project planning tools in an organisation Explain various tools that are used in project
5. Explain the meaning of CPM. Mention various steps involved in CPM. [Write the meaning of CPM
Explain various steps associated with CPM]
6. What do you understand by cost of quality? Elaborate on various types of quality costs associated with a project.
PM 0012 – PROJECT FINANCE AND BUDGETING
1. Write short notes on: Lump sum contract Project Cost Profile Trade credit Types of project resources [Lump sum contract Project Cost Profile Trade credit Types of project resources 2. Discuss the financing of telecommunication projects.
[Explain the financing of telecommunication projects and Discuss the factors needs to be considered while financing a telecommunication project.]
3. Do lenders, sponsors, EPC contractors, and the government require project insurance? Explain [Give your opinion is project insurance required by lenders, sponsors, EPC contractors, and the government
Provide justification to your answer from perspective of lenders, sponsors, EPC contractors, and the government]
4. Write short notes on: Expected Monetary Value (EMV) Earned Value Analysis (EVA) Optimal capital structure Net Present Value(NPV method of capital budgeting
[Expected Monetary Value (EMV) Earned Value Analysis (EVA) Optimal capital structure Net Present Value(NPV method of capital budgeting]
5. Explain the role played by engineering advisors in project finance. [Explanation of the nature of the role played by engineering advisors in project finance Summarization of the role played by engineering advisors according four phases of activities] 6. Define PPP (Public Private Partnership) and list the advantages and disadvantages of PPP . [Define PPP
List advantages of PPP
List disadvantages of PPP]
PM 0013 – MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES IN PROJECTS
1. Write short notes on: Human Resource Cycle Role of a project manager Productivity measurement method of manpower estimation Managing Conflicts in a project [Human Resource Cycle Role of a project manager Productivity measurement method of manpower estimation Managing Conflicts in a project]
2. What is the need for building a team during any project?
[Define team building and its significance Discuss the various reasons for building a project team
3 Write short notes on Qualities of a project leader Dealing with Poor Performers in a Project Team Minority groups Health issues of project team members
[Qualities of a project leader Dealing with Poor Performers in a Project Team Minority groups Health issues of project team members]
4. What are the major roles that motivation plays in handling project environment? [Explain how motivation plays a considerable role in the success and failure of a project Discuss the major roles of motivation in a project environment]
5. Explain various types of collective bargaining.
[Explanation of four types of collective bargaining]
6. What is a Human Resource Information System(HRIS).
Very briefly Functions of HRIS
List any two advantages of HRIS
List any two disadvantages of HRIS]