1. According to the website, what is Nationalism? Nationalism is loyalty to the idea of the state rather than to the community. 2. What is the difference between Nationalism and Patriotism? Patriotism is a love of one’s country that inspires one to serve for the benefit of its citizens. Nationalism is also a love of one’s country, but with the belief that the country is superior to other countries. 3. What was the Romantic Movement and how did it enhance nationalist feelings? The Romantic Movement provided a set of cultural myths and folks traditions that set nations apart.
4. Use the information on only the initial page to briefly describe the impact of nationalism in each of the four countries during the mid-late 1800s: *France- France strove to solidify its own identity as a nation as its territory diminished. *Germany- They wanted to create a German state as much in opposition to Austria as in the interests of national unity. *Italy- Fought to reunify disparate Italian forces, after they were subjugated by French and Austrian leaders. *Russia- Tsar Alexander the 2nd began working on making Russia a modern nation, although other groups bordering Russia faced problems in making their own nations
The questions below are more in-depth, dealing with the unification of Italy and Germany. Use the links on the right of the page to help you answer the following questions.
5. On a separate sheet of paper, make a chronological timeline of the important events leading up to the unification of Italy 6. What term do historians use to identify the reunification of Italy? 7. In a well-constructed paragraph, identify each of the following people and the role each played in Italian unification: *Mazzini
Read excerpts from “General Instructions for the Members of Young Italy” and answer the following questions:
8. Summarize, in a well-constructed sentence, what Mazzini was trying to say to the members of Young Italy.
9. What are two phrases/terms that show nationalist feelings? a. She has suffient strength in herself to become one. b. Italy is destined to become one nation.
10. What was the goal of “Young Italy” according to the document? Unite all Italian citizens. 11. What challenges did Italians have to overcome in order to unite Italy as one nation-state? (You can find this at the bottom of the page) Tried to make everyone feel equal and free.
When you finish this page, click “next” to bring you to German Unification.
11. What phrase did Otto Von Bismarck use to describe the method by which a unified German state would occur? Bismarck used Realpolitik, ruthless politics that puts the goals of the state ahead of any other concern basically ends justify the means politics. 12. The _______________________ _________________ ___ ___________, which attempted to unify Germany through ______________________ ________, had been crushed. Bismarck knew that the chances of peaceful revolution were nonexistent: Germany could be created only through ______.
13. Bismarck was the architect of a policy that came to be known as __________________, which means “_______________ _____________.” He was determined to strengthen Prussia by ______ __________ __________________.
14. Click on “More about the Zollverein” and read the window. In your own words, describe the Zollverein and how it moved the German states closer together. Also, explain why Prussia benefited from the Zollverein.
15. Write 2-3 examples of how Bismarck used realpolitik (practical or pragmatic politics…not moralistic) to unify Germany.
University/College: University of Chicago
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 29 November 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Nationalism Webquest
for only $16.38 $12.9/page