Music Appreciation Text Questions Essay
Music Appreciation Text Questions
Please complete the following questions. It is important that you use full sentences and present the questions and answers when you submit your work. Submit the work as a file attachment. This means you complete all work in a word processing document (e.g., Microsoft Word) and attach the file using the dropbox tool.
Use the Unit 3: Text Questions dropbox basket.
The answers to the Review & Critical Thinking questions are worth 10 points.
1. What is the Hurrian song? Why is it important?The Hurrian Song is a collection of music inscribed on cuneiform on clay tablets. Its important because it is one of the first times Hymns were written down.
2. What is the Natya Shastra? Why is it important? Natya Shastra is a writing on the performing arts, dancing, and stage performance. This is important because it gives quite a detailed information on the types of instruments that was used at the time and was popular.
3. Who were troubadours? What was their music like?Troubadours were traveling poet musicians who traveled from place to place singing and performing for the nobility. The songs that were sang were generally monophic and they often accompanied themselves with an instrument like a lyre or even a drum.
4. What are modes? Describe at least one type of mode. Modes were used before the modern day scales. One Kind of mode is Ionian.
5. What is polyphonic music? How does it differ from monophonic music?Polyphonic Music uses two or more independent melodies. It differs from monophic music because monophic music was dominated in early middle ages.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Why did early humans develop music? What are some of the ways that they were thought to create music?Early Humans developed music because they wanted to express themselves. One way they were thought to create music was by listening to natural sounds and repeating them. 2. Why is the study of prehistoric and ancient music important? What can we learn from it?The study of prehistoric/ancient music is important because you can see how music started and how it advanced. We can learn how they lived back then from it. 3. What roles did music play in the life of prehistoric and ancient people? Are the roles similar to or different from the roles that it plays today?Are the roles similar to or different from the roles that it plays today? The role music played was entertainment and Religious support. The roles are similar today its just more diverse.
Please post questions and answers on the UNIT THREE discussion boards. Unless otherwise instructed, you should submit at least one full paragraph for each question. Each discussion assignment is worth 5 points.