IT Manager Essay
1. Define what is encompassed in the term information technology. Information technology is related to studying, designing and developing information related to computers. Information technology includes both the computer technology that enables the processing and storing of information as well as the communication technology that enables the transmission of this information.
2. What are some of the ways that IT has become “pervasive”? IT is critical to the future of any business and it helps the businesses in adapting to the new business processes and to predict the possible impact of new technologies.
3. What kinds of portable IT help employees work more efficiently and effectively? What may interfere with productivity? A laptop is a portable IT in the form of a personal computer and what may interfere with its productivity is its upgradeability. Laptop upgradeability is very limited compared to desktops, which are thoroughly standardized.
4. What kinds of IT can help support teams when team members work at different locations? Skype is an IT application that allows teams to have a spoken conversation with each other over the internet using the software application, frequently also viewing by webcam.
5. How have some businesses used the Internet to compete based on low cost, product/service differentiation, or both? One way a can use internet to compete based on low cost, product and service differentiation is running a virtual business. A virtual business has little or no physical structure, and relies on the Internet and telecommunications to achieve the desired business goals. Amazon.com is a virtual business. As an online bookstore, it delivered and brokered bookstore services without a physical retail store presence; efficiently connecting buyers and sellers without the overhead of a physical location.
6. What kind of a business might choose to have low levels of dependence on IT? IS organization in support mode. They have low need for new information technology for competing and reliable and secure information technology for business operations. The IT used are mostly to support back-office support functions.
7. What three types of IT resources need to be managed well? Technology Infrastructure: Computers, software and networks that enable an organization to conduct business and share information across organizational units as well as business partners. Human Resources: IT professionals and managers who have the needed mix of technology, business and interpersonal skills to plan for, design and manage the other IT resources. Business/IT Relationships: Established relationships between business and IT workers to ensure that the other IT resources are aligned with the business needs
8. What are some examples of newer IT manager roles, and why are they needed today? The newest IT manager role is the Chief Information Officer (CIO) role which is responsible for the information technology and computer systems that support enterprise goals. As information technology and systems have become more important, the CIO role has come to be viewed in many organizations as a key contributor in formulating strategic goals.
9. For what reasons might an IT manager have a reporting relationship with a CIO as well as with a senior business manager?
The IT manager have a reporting relationship with a CIO as well as with a senior business manager because CIO’s role is to provide vision and leadership for developing and implementing information technology initiatives that align with the business mission overseen by the senior business manager.