The average temperature descends, as the temperature gets higher. There is a decrease of 20 seconds from the starting temperature to the finishing one. The table clearly shows that the time for the ribbon to disappear decreases as the temperature increases. The reaction between Magnesium and Hydrochloric Acid Magnesium(s) + Hydrochloric Acid (l) Magnesium Chloride (l) + Hydrogen (g) Mg(s) + 2HCL(l) MgCl2(l) + H2(g) From my results, I have come to the conclusion that if the temperature of a solution is raised, so is the time for the reaction to occur.
The ribbon disappeared more rapidly as the temperature rose and I think this was due to the increase of energy between the particles and an increase in energy between collisions that successfully passed the energy barrier. At the lower temperatures, the time for the ribbon to disappear was less because the particles did not have as much energy as they did at the higher temperatures. At these temperatures the particles are colliding with much more energy, thus causing more collisions. Linking Prediction to Conclusion My original prediction was that if you increase the temperature of a reaction, you decrease the time it takes to occur.
And, from looking back on my results, I can see that this hypothesis was correct as the time for the reaction to take place decreased as the temperature rose. My conclusion matches my prediction very well overall, and my results clearly show this where at 10i?? C, the time for the reaction to take place was 25 seconds and at 60i?? C the time for the reaction to happen was 5 seconds, a difference of 20 seconds. The particles were moving around with more energy; enough to break the energy barrier and for a reaction to occur as the temperature rose. Evaluation I think that this experiment has gone very well for me.
My results were of a particularly accurate standard as I did each temperature the reaction was taking place two times and calculated an average from these times. There was only one strange result (anomalies) within my results table, as I stated before, and I think that this was probably because the desired temperature wasn’t correct. Except for that odd result the others were very good and positive, I took extreme caution and care that I put into making sure that the experiment was set up correctly with careful measuring of chemicals, temperature and substances.
I think that I could have repeated my results more however for the reason that I feel although the experiment was repeated twice, the most accurate results in experiment can only come from constant repeatability which I did not display in my experiment. That said, the time allocated did not allow me to do so and I believe as an improvement of what I could do if I did the experiment again, I would have to say that, with more time, I would repeat the results further for even more accurate and reliable results. I believe that I could have improved the method by making it more specific.
I stated clearly all the various methods I took in setting the experiment up but I could have been more specific to how all the apparatus was used and perhaps why I used the apparatus I did as well. I believe that I did get a suitable range of results for this experiment. I recorded results from temperatures that ranged from 10i?? C to 60i?? C and I think that this is a very good range to see how temperature affects the rate of reaction. However, I feel that this also reduces the chance of knowing if anything changes if the temperature reaches a certain point.
Perhaps doing the temperature even higher would enhance my results, and make a clearer and more scientific response and results. Some other areas in the experiment that I feel I could have improved on were factors like controlling the stopwatch and measuring the amount of sodium hydrochloric acid and length of ribbon. There is lots of room for human error here. However the inaccuracies due to them were negligible because I paid close attention to these during the experiment. Overall, this investigation has been a very successful one.
I feel my results and analysis have been as accurate and reliable as they could have been under the time allocated. However I feel with extra time, I could have repeated the experiment and made it even more accurate and adapted it to try other variables i. e. concentration or adding a catalyst. These are the ways that I could expand on the original question. Lucy Gillett Science Coursework 1 Rate of Reaction Show preview only The above preview is unformatted text This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Patterns of Behaviour section.