Essay, Pages 8 (1811 words)
Electric vehicles are increasing day by day because of its low battery cost and good battery capacity compared to other technology. Increasing automotive growth in electric vehicles also increases the automation to use it.Graphical User Interface for electric vehicles with a full -blown touch screen will become more easy to use with t he introduction of fast charging st ations. The approach shown to build HMI use Texas Instruments kit and CCS software. The TM4C123GH6PM processors p rovide scalability it also provides different processing speeds along with compatible software to build low – to high -end applications, and prov ides connecti vity with various peripherals required for EVSE HMI, such as universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter (UART) and CAN.
Along with this processor touch screen display K350QVGA (Texas Instruments) is used to test the output screen . Index Term s: Human Machine Interface, Code Composer Studio, Texas Instruments.
The market for electric vehicles (EV’s) is emerging where the interest is higher than ever before (Office of Energy Effic iency & Renewable Energy, 2016) .
The global act ivity concerning EV’s is increasing due to the strive of reducing greenhouse gases (NASA, 2016), as well as car batteries are getting more efficient than before The EV’s on the market are today charged with a cord that is plugged into the car. The negative aspects with the cord is that it reacts badly to altering weather and air temperatures, as well as if forgetting to plug -in; the car will be powerless.
As the number of EV is increasing day by day on the other hand charging demand also increases . H ence , the charging infrastructure as well as efficient Inductive Power Transfer (IPT) need to developed to meet such requirement for sub stantial operation of the EVs.
For instance, in  the United States (US), and Bhutan has taken initiative to build cha rging stations in different regions to provide easy charging services and promote the growth of electric vehicles. The installation of charging stations will add burden on the power grid, and the high charging loads of fast EV cha rging stations will degr ade the distribution network and its operating parameters . The uncoordinated charging of EV’s will degrade the voltage profile, peak load during EV charging and some of the harmonic distortions. Delayed Charging also provides some consequences similar to uncontrolled Charging. In the industrial automation human -machine interaction plays an important role, the user interface is the process where interaction betw een humans and machines takes place [ 2]. The major goal of user machine interaction in human mach ine interface is effective operation of machine and easy control of machine and feedback/status of operations from the machine which signals the operator to make different operational decisions accordingly.
In other words, The HMI gives easy way to intera ct with machine by using its instruction coding language and get our work done by machine. It also provides how hardware and software systems can be designed to expand the human control. HMI products are developed to make machine operation easy, by produci ng optimal outputs. Before HMI was introduced it include the Batch Interface, Command Line User Interface, and the Graphical User Interface (GUI) for industrial automation applications, which is used nowadays in HMI display panels to make user friendly sys tem.
HMI control panels of any system includes
- The pushbuttons and control buttons
- The data handler
- Different LED’s and light indicator .
This paper mainly focus on building graphical user interface for electric vehicle charging station. Many approaches to build GUI is discussed in later section. Final i mplementation is carried using Code Composer S tudio IDE and hardware kit from Texas Instruments. This Graphical User Interface provides basic operation required to charge EV with different optio ns for charging or payment to the user. Moreover this application can be further used with mobile application to book the charging slot or search for free charging station nearby etc.
Graphical User Interface for Electric Vehicle
MassTech DC charging station is mainly uses SETQCY series for fast charging of electric vehicle .IP54 standard is used to design the produ ct and install with waterproof and dustproof. This DC fast charging sta tion has charging interface, human -machine interface, system communications, billing and ot her parts, modular design, installation is easy , simple oper ation and maintenance , and the cha rger with the use of electric vehicles outdoor DC fast charge ideal choice . .
HMI display screen of DC charging station of Electway DC charger comply with the CHAdeMO technology to charge EV.different protocols are used to communicate between off board conductive charger a nd battery management system to meet the CHAdeMO 0.9 version. The charger may communicate with battery management system (BMS) of the electric car , it may complete charging according to the message of the BMS.
EVlink quick charging stations from Schneider electric Fig. 3. HMI display s creen of Schneider Electric DC charging station The above fig. shows the EVlink quick charging stations with 50 kW charging power. This charging station allows vehicles compa tible with this version to recharge the EV in less than 20 minutes. Depending on the options selected, EVlink quick charging stations offer the following functions .
- User -charging station dialog: touch screen or screen with keypad for displaying the residual charge and there charging set point
- Charging management
- Socket locked during charging
- Emergency stop button.
- Data transmission: Wired connection (Ethernet TCP/IP) or wireless connection for transmitting data concerning operation, status, activation/deactivation of the charging station, etc.
- Bank card pay station, adapted to suit different countries.
- Authorized user RFID tag reader: management of the list of authorized users by remote server .
BLOCK DIAGRAM OF HMI PANEL
- ARM Cortex -M4 micro -controllers is the central processor to carry out different operations and provides top performance as well as integration with different hardware with rich communication features. Many inbuilt modules which provides rich HMI application is included in TI Tiva C -series cortex M4 controller . this controller has Ethernet controller facility.
- HMI board includes 7 TFT LCD with Capacitive/Resistive Touch Pa nel. it can have parallel interface of 16 bit or extended upto 24bit. Features of display screen include 7″ size with 262k colors, resolution of 800X480, this controller has inbuilt LCD interface controller which reduces design complexity.
- In HMI communicat ion protocol is important for real time application hence Ethernet can be used for such purpose. It allows you to connect and communicate with one or multiple HMI or between HMI and any PLC’s present on the field.
- To save the HMI data USB Host or USB OTG c an be used to store data in Pen drive or any hard drive. This board has two USB port with 480Mbps speed.one is USB 2.0 and other USB OTG 2.0.it supports different types of data transfer.
HARDWARE SOFTWARE OVERVIEW
Tiva TM4C129XL Launchpad
The Tiva C Seri es Evaluation Board TM4C129GXL has ARM Cortex M4 as the main Controller.it is low cost platform for various applications. The Tiva Launchpad includes TM4C123GH6PMmicrocontroller,USBinterface( 2.0),motio n control PWM module.it also includes user buttons and LED(RGB) that can be programmed according to the custom application. The Evaluation board has two stackable headers (40pin booster pack connector) that is used to interface the different Booster pack directly. There is no need of any external wire interfac e for such booster pack and other peripherals. Debug USB port on right side of board is used for program debugging.USB micro connector is used to connect board with the system.
Touch Screen Display
The K350QVGA display is a booster pack from TEXAS Instruments which can be directly used with any Launchpad or evaluation board.it is easy to use and easy to plug in module. This module can be directly used with microcontroller to develop applications w hich needs touch screen color display for displaying output parameters.it has resistive touch screen. The basic features of this display is listed below, includes,
- Kentec TFT LCD (part number: K350QVG -V2 -F)
- Display Size of 3.5 -inch QVGA
- Resolution of 320?240
- Communication (SPI)
- Resistive Touch S creen (4 wire)
- White LED backlight with driver circuit
- It is compatible for use with 20/40 pin launch pads
CODE COMPOSER STUDIO IDE
- TI’s Microcontroller a nd Embedded Processors supports Code Composer Studio as IDE .
- Various embedded applications can be developed and debug using different tools of Code Composer Studio. Tools of CCS includes an optimizing C/C++ compiler, source code editor, project build environment, profiler, debugger and many other features.
- This IDE provides good step by step user interface starti ng from program building to debug interface. This feature allows user to get easier and faster start to build any application.
- Code Composer Studio has two advantages of Eclipse software and debug capabilities of embedded to have rich development environm ent for developers.
The above fig. shows the experimental setup for this application project. The touch screen display from Texas Instruments is used to show results.TM4C123GH6M Launchpad is use d to interface this display. Coding is to be done using code composer IDE which provides a better solution for Texas kit to be easily interfaced and use for any application
This paper introduced the building of human machine interface using Texas controller and code composer studio and also selection of HMI screen based on different selection criteria from different manufactures. The literature activities showed that resistive touch is best for this application hence K350QVGA t ouch screen is used to test the display output. Code composer studio provides a good interface with Texas instruments kit and booster pack which makes the design more simple and easy to use .
- Juan Liu,” Research and Implementation of Electric V ehicle Fast Charging Station Parking Guidance System based on Mobile Terminal”, 2017 9th International Conference on Intelligent Human -Machine Systems and Cybernetics, 978 -1-5386 -3022 -8/17 $31.00 © 2017 IEEE.
- Nishu Patel, Ekata Mehul,” Low En d Human Machin e Interface (HMI) Display using ARM Cortex M4 Based Controller”, IJSTE – International Journal of Science Technology & Engineering | Volume 1 |Issue 12 June 2015 ISSN (online): 2349 -784X.
- Petr CHLEBIS, Martin TVRDON, Ales HAVEL, Katerina BARESOVA, “Compari son of Standard and Fast Charging Methods for Electric Vehicles,” Department of Electronics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, VSB -Technical University of Ostrava, 17. Listopadu 15, 708 33 Ostrava -Poruba, Czech Republic VOLUME: 12, NU MBER: 2 2014JUNE.
- Chris Fill yaw , Jonathan Friedman, and Sameer M. Prabhu,”Creating Human Machine Interface (HMI) Based Tests within Model -Based Design”, 2007 -01-0780.
- Marjan Gjelaj, Chresten Tr?holt, Seyedmostafa Hashemi, Peter Bach Andersen ,” Optimal De sign of DC Fast -Charging Stations for EVs in Low Voltage Grids”, Department of Electrical Engineering Technical University of Denmark – Copenhagen, Denmark.
- www.phihong.c om.tw