Equality and Diversity Essay
Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learnforschools.com and send your completed Assessment to your teacher via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. What is meant by diversity?
Diversity means differences such as different religious beliefs, different cultural traditions, music, art, dancing etc. In the context of society and culture, diversity is usually mentioned in discussing multicultural societies.
2. Describe the community you live in. Highlight some of the variations you may observe in terms of:
• Personal, social and cultural identities.
The area I live in I don’t really know if there Is anyone who doesn’t believe in god there is a church but its closed even on Sundays there isn’t that much in my area there is a place to worship its quite big there are always a lot off people going but I don’t know any there are all from other local areas where there is nowhere to worship.
3. Explain how the variations in question 2 contribute to the diversity of the community.
Because if there is places to worship you can make some more friends, brings the community together more, lets you meet new people, meet the people who liver in your area who maybe have the same beliefs or same religion as you . I have experienced something like this before to see what it was like for other religions meeting we went every Saturday to this Senegal in Whitley bay with a group of Muslims we wore the same clothes as them and lived like they did for a few hours it’s a great experience it makes you realise that everyone is the same and you shouldn’t judge people we found out how hard it was to be a Muslim , like what there not aloud to eat and drink during fasting is the hardest time .
4. Give some examples to explain how diversity:
• Enhances your life:
• Enhances the local community
• Enhances this country.
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
Because they may feel like there not wanted always remember the saying every one is equal and the same never judge someone by looks or culture because YOU don’t know how hard it might be for them they walk past people in the street think off the names they get called it may not be there own country but not all religion are the same some people are good and bad but you cant blame whats happened with the bad people on the good people because its not there fault they always get mistreated and judged for no reason.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
7. Describe yourself in terms of:
• Personal interests
My personal interests are music I enjoy doing drumming, I have a lesson once a week, I also enjoy animals we have a snake 2cats and 2 dogs.
• Religion / culture
I’m not a religious person I don’t really know what to believe as I have heard a lot in the past.
8. What is meant by having multiple identities? Give three examples in relation to people you know.
Example 1: My brother has a multiple identity because when he is with his friends he does not speak to me but when its just me and him he’s really chatty.
Example 2: when there is a sad or scary movie on I mask my feelings by laughing at it. Instead of crying or being sad
Example 3: one of my friends thinks she is hard in front of her boyfriend
9. What is meant by shared identity?
Shared Identity is when any one person has many defining characteristics and qualities. It is more then likely that the person will have the same characteristics as one or more other people. So when people have a characteristic in common its known as a shared identity. ( like twins)
10. Explain and give examples of how an individual can identify themselves as belonging to a number of different groups. who we are depends upon where we are at school, at home, at grandmas and at work. who we are depends upon who we are with.
11. Describe yourself in terms of your multiple identities.
12. What is meant by stereotyping and labelling?
Stereotyping is where you judge people because of who they are maybe if there not the same as you for example (gay – people may think that all lesbians are butch.)
13. Explain why some people stereotype others.
Small minded people oftern steryotype others because they have never ventured out off there own little area and seen the real world.
14. Provide two examples of the damaging effects that stereotyping and labelling can have on people.
15. Provide at least two examples of the way stereotyping is perpetuated in society.
16. Define prejudice and discrimination.
17. Explain how people may develop prejudices.
18. Describe the following types of discrimination.
19. What is meant by the term protected characteristics?
20. What is the difference between direct and indirect discrimination? Give two examples to illustrate your point.
21. Describe the effects that discrimination and prejudice can have on people.
22. Describe what equal opportunities means in relation to:
23. Outline the inequality problems that persist in terms of pay for men and women.
24. Identify and briefly describe two other signs of inequality.
Once you have completed this Assessment, go to www.vision2learnforschools.com and send your work to your teacher for marking.
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 26 November 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on Equality and Diversity
for only $16.38 $12.9/page