Choose one prompt below to respond to in a 4-5 paragraph expository essay. Be sure to develop a strong thesis statement that makes an argument and topic sentences for each body paragraph. Please follow these requirements to ensure yourself of maximum points: 1. Use MLA Format, including headers
2. It is important that you take time to organize your thoughts through prewriting/shaping. Ultimately, this saves you time in the long run. (Re: organize body paragraphs first!) 3. Create a clear and argumentative thesis statement and place it at the end of your introductory paragraph. 4. Organize two body paragraphs that contain at least two quotes each; begin each paragraph with a clear and argumentative topic sentence 5. Provide a smooth lead-in for each quote which gives contextual information 6. Include parenthetical citations with page numbers after each quote. 7.Make sure your Concluding paragraph is all commentary.
1) One of the most tragic themes in Night is Eliezer’s discovery of the way that atrocities and cruel treatment can make decent people into brutes. Does Elie himself escape this fate? Use specific events to convey your opinion.
2) Elie Wiesel won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 for his championing of human rights around the world. How might his advocacy for human rights have grown out of his Holocaust experiences? What are the positive lessons of the Holocaust that Wiesel hints at in Night?
3) Dehumanization is the process by which the Nazis reduced the Jews to little more than “things” which were a nuisance to them. Discuss how dehumanization occurred in Night (you can include events that occurred that dehumanized Eliezer, his father, or his fellow Jews) and how this helped Hitler achieve his ends.
4) Oftentimes in novels, authors write with a purpose to teach the reader