If you soak an egg in vinegar, then the shell will deteriorate and loose centimeters off of it’s circumference.
Data and Observations
1. The egg is whole, and has not lost color.
2. The egg was immediately surrounded by bubbles.
3. 14 cm
1. The egg appears to have a little bit of color missing.
2. The egg remains firm.
1. The eggs shell is beginning to disappear.
2. The shell of the egg is cracking all around.
3. 16 and ¼cm
1. The shell is completely gone, leaving a thin membrane that surrounds the yolk.
2. The egg itself looks flimsy and appears transparent.
Be sure to answer the following reflection questions in the conclusion of your lab report:
1. How much did the egg change in size? (answer should be in centimeter) The egg’s size changed by 3 centimeters.
2. Was your hypothesis correct? Why or why not?
My hypothesis proved to be correct because the egg’s shell did, in fact, deteriorate.
3. Evaluate the lab and data collected. What type of transport occurred in this lab? Explain your answer, including evidence from your experiment to support your explanation. The type of transport that took place in this lab was active. I believe this is true because the particles moved from an area of higher concentration (vinegar), to an area of lower concentration (the egg).
4. Consider how lettuce or spinach placed in water becomes firm and crisp. Use what you have learned about cell membranes to explain this observation. Lettuce and spinach become firm and crisp when placed in water because the cells absorb the water, and in turn makes the lettuce/spinach bloated with water.
5. If you were to continue this experiment by removing the egg from the water and covering it in syrup, what do you think would happen. Explain your prediction. (If you choose to test your prediction, be sure to allow at least 24 hours before making your observations. And, of course, handle the egg very carefully!) If I were to put the same egg in a syrup solution, I believe the thin membrane that remained would break because passive transport would take place.