Detailed Ecological Effect Evaluation (DEIA) is one of the treatments of EIA adopted in Malaysia. The DEIA report will be prepared after the Initial EIA was approved by the Department Of Environmental. Comprehensive EIA is a procedure carried out for those tasks with significant or considerable effects to the environment. The Procedure for In-depth EIA.
Figure 1 reveals the procedure associated with DEIA
The comprehensive assessment involves EIA report display for the public and afflicted neighborhood to comment. The examples of activities which require to go through the Comprehensive EIA procedure are listed in List 1.
Regardless of the list in List 1, the Director General of Environment has the authority to ask for a detailed evaluation of a project which has significant effects to the environment of tasks which are located in or nearby to environmentally sensitive locations. List of Prescribed Activities Which Require In-depth EIA
1. Iron and steel industry.
2. Pulp and paper mills.
3. Cement plant.
4. Building and construction of coal fired power plant.
5. Building of dams for water system and hydroelectric
6. Land improvement.
7. Incineration plant (arranged wastes & & strong wastes).
8. Construction of local strong waste garbage dump facility (consisting of community solid waste transfer station).
9. Project including land cleaning where 50% of the area or more having slopes surpassing 25 degrees (except quarry).
10. Logging covering an area going beyond 500 hectares or more.
11. Development of tourist or leisure centers on islands in surrounding waters which are gazetted as nationwide marine parks.
12. Building and construction of healing plant (off-site) for lead-acid battery wastes
13. Scheduled wastes recovery or treatment facility generating substantial quantity of wastewater which is situated upstream of public water supply consumption.
14. Non-ferrous – Primary smelting.
List 1 shows examples of activities that need DEIA
After the DEIA report being approved by the DOE approval, a paper advertisement is carries out for public’s comment. The DEIA report could be purchased for any individual parties that interested into it. For example, a DEIA report could be purchased with RM 1,000.00. The advertisement is opened for the public view in a certain period of time. After the duration for the public’s comments on the prescribed activities related with the DEIA report, the construction process is started.
Prescribed Activity started
DEIA amendment prior to public’s comment
Paper advertisement for public’s comment
Submission of DEIA for approval
Preparation of DEIA
Cite this page
Detailed Environmental Impact Assessment (DEIA). (2016, Dec 14). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/detailed-environmental-impact-assessment-deia-essay