Detailed Environmental Impact Assessment (DEIA) is one of the procedures of EIA adopted in Malaysia. The DEIA report will be prepared after the Preliminary EIA was approved by the Department Of Environmental. Detailed EIA is a procedure undertaken for those projects with major or significant impacts to the environment. The Procedure for Detailed EIA.
Figure 1 shows the procedure involved in DEIA
The detailed assessment involves EIA report display for the public and affected community to comment. The examples of activities which need to go through the Detailed EIA procedure are listed in List 1.
Notwithstanding the list in List 1, the Director General of Environment has the prerogative to request a detailed assessment of a project which has significant impacts to the environment of projects which are located in or adjacent to environmentally sensitive areas. List of Prescribed Activities Which Require Detailed EIA
1. Iron and steel industry.
2. Pulp and paper mills.
3. Cement plant.
4. Construction of coal fired power plant.
5. Construction of dams for water supply and hydroelectric
6. Land reclamation.
7. Incineration plant (scheduled wastes & solid wastes).
8. Construction of municipal solid waste landfill facility (including municipal solid waste transfer station).
9. Project involving land clearing where 50% of the area or more having slopes exceeding 25 degrees (except quarry).
10. Logging covering an area exceeding 500 hectares or more.
11. Development of tourist or recreational facilities on islands in surrounding waters which are gazetted as national marine parks.
12. Construction of recovery plant (off-site) for lead-acid battery wastes
13. Scheduled wastes recovery or treatment facility generating significant amount of wastewater which is located upstream of public water supply intake.
14. Non-ferrous – Primary smelting.
List 1 shows examples of activities that need DEIA
After the DEIA report being approved by the DOE approval, a paper advertisement is carries out for public’s comment. The DEIA report could be purchased for any individual parties that interested into it. For example, a DEIA report could be purchased with RM 1,000.00. The advertisement is opened for the public view in a certain period of time. After the duration for the public’s comments on the prescribed activities related with the DEIA report, the construction process is started.
Prescribed Activity started
DEIA amendment prior to public’s comment
Paper advertisement for public’s comment
Submission of DEIA for approval
Preparation of DEIA
Cite this page
Detailed Environmental Impact Assessment (DEIA). (2016, Dec 14). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/detailed-environmental-impact-assessment-deia-essay