Company structure Essay
1. Explain the reasons why the organisational structure in any business is important 2. Some people prefer to work for a large company. Others prefer to work for a small company. Which would you prefer? Use specific reasons and details to support your choice. Management and culture diversity
3. Differences between countries become less evident each year. Nowadays, all over the world people share the same fashions, advertising, brands, eating habits and TV channels. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this?
In some countries, young people are encouraged to work or travel for a year between finishing high school and starting university studies. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages for young people who decide to do this.
4. As mass communication and transport continue to grow, societies are becoming more and more alike leading to a phenomenon known as globalization. Some people fear that globalization will inevitably lead to the total loss of cultural identity. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
When international media (including movies, fashion shows, advertisements and other TV programmes) convey the same messages to the global audience, people argue that the expansion of international media has negative impacts on cultural diversity. What is your opinion?
5. Some people think using cultural heritage to develop international tourism is wrong. Others think that is the only way to protect cultural heritage. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. Today, the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Advertising is all around us; it is an unavoidable part of everyone’s life. Some people say that advertising is a positive part of our lives while others say it is a negative one. What is your opinion? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
8. Do you think that ‘word of mouth’ is the best method of advertising?
9. What makes an effective advertisement?
10. In what ways can producers or retailers try to persuade customers to try new products?
11. In your opinion, are prices the only factor that makes people buy products? Give explanation. 12. Increasing the price of petrol is the best way to solve growing traffic and pollution problems. To what extend do you agree or disagree? What other measures do you think might be effective?
The costs of medical health care are increasing all the time. Governments are finding it difficult to balance the health care budget. Should citizens be totally responsible for their own health costs and take out private health insurance, or is it better to have a comprehensive health care system which provides free health services for all? Discuss.
13. It is said that “you have what you pay for”. Do you agree/ disagree with this statement? 14. Offering high prices is always good. Do you agree or disagree? 15. Offering ‘off sales’ is always good. Do you agree or disagree?
16. More and more people are becoming overweight. Some people say that increasing the price of unhealthy or high-fat foods will solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Arbitration
The only way to solve a serious crisis between two nations is by going to war. What is your opinion?
17. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of arbitration
18. The advantages of arbitration outweigh disadvantages. Do you agree? Discuss International Trade
19. Some people pay money for the things they want or need. Other people trade products or goods for what they need. Compare the advantages of these two ways of obtaining things. Which way do you prefer? Explain why
Improvements in health, education and trade are essential for the development of poorer nations. However, the governments of richer nations should take more responsibility for helping the poorer nations in such areas.
“Free trade cannot be said to be beneficial to all sections of a trading nation. As such, it is necessary for it to be accompanied by an income redistribution policy.” Discuss
20. “While a country as a whole will gain from trading with other nations, this does not mean that all sections of the community within the country will benefit.” Discuss.
21. “Free trade is good for some but bad for others” Discuss this statement
22. “Everyone benefits from free trade!” Discuss
“While protectionism is bad, the World Trade Organisation preference for the use of tariffs over quotas as a protectionist device is extremely sensible.” Discuss.
What are the key principles underlying the operation of the WTO? To what extent do these principles make economic sense?
23. What are the advantages and disadvantages of international trade? 24. What are the advantages of international trade to businesses? 25. Globalization makes rich countries richer and poor countries poorer. Do you agree?
26. For hundreds of years, the monetary system of most countries has been based on the exchange of metal coins and printed pieces of paper. However, because of recent developments in technology, the international community should consider replacing the entire system of coins and paper with a system of electronic accounts of credits and debits.’ Discuss the extent to which you agree/ disagree with the expression above. Support your point of view with reasons/ examples from your own experience, observations or reading.
27. Many people are using credit cards or loans to run up personal debts that they may be unable to repay. It should therefore be made difficult for individuals to borrow large amount of money. What is your opinion on this?
28. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using credit cards?
Many people who work in the banking and finance industries earn very much more than nurses, teachers and other people who work for their local communities. Some people think this is unfair. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
29. How do banks facilitate the workings of modern life?
30. What are roles of banks in international trade?
Financing international trade
31. Documentary credit is often used to finance international trade. Why is it chosen so widely? Are there any risks or disadvantages for the exporter and the importer when they decide to use documentary credit?
32. Someday paper money and coins will be replaced by credit cards and online methods of monetary exchange. Do you agree or disagree?
33. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages associated with using credit card. 34. Why is letter of credit the commonest method of payment in
international trade? 35. What are the advantages and disadvantages of letter of credit? 36. What are the advantages and disadvantages of open account method of payment?
Financial education should be a mandatory component of the school program. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
36. Write an essay on the importance of financial statements of a company. Suggested points: + How many types of financial statements are there?
+ What purpose are they used for?
+ What are the features of each type?
37. Discuss the Advantages and Disadvantages of Company Mergers and Acquisitions. 38. What are the reasons for the failure of many Mergers and Acquisitions? 39. Why are there high rates of failure of Mergers and Acquisitons?
“Forecasting exchange rates is essentially a waste of effort.” Discuss Topics for essay writing
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of international trade? 2. What are the advantages of international trade to businesses? 3. Globalization makes rich countries richer and poor countries poorer. Do you agree? 4. Why is letter of credit the commonest method of payment in international trade? 5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of letter of credit? 6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of open account method of payment? 7. How do banks facilitate the workings of modern life?
8. What are roles of banks in international trade?
2. What makes an effective advertisement?
3. In what ways can producers or retailers try to persuade customers to try new products? 4. Explain the method of Mark-up price or the Cost-plus
pricing 11. Explain what the Product mix pricing strategy is and give an example to illustrate your point.