Codes of Practice Essay
Codes of Practice
1. Legislations that relate to the handling of information in health and social care are:
The Human Rights Act 1998
The Data Protection Act 1998
Codes of practice that relate to the handling of information in health and social care are:
Codes of Practice – set out by Skills for care
2. The main points of the data protection act are:
1. Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully and, in particular, shall not be processed unless- 1. at least one of the conditions in Schedule 2 is met, and
2. in the case of sensitive personal data, at least one of the conditions in Schedule 3 is also met. 2. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.
3. Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
4. Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
5. Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
6. About the rights of individuals e.g. personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects (individuals).
7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.