CLIL Case Study Essay
CLIL Case Study
1.What is CLIL? What are the advantages it offers? Is it applicable to your educational center?
Thanks for your CLIL post. I’m currently doing my PhD in CLIL, particularly looking at materials development for foreign language contexts. It’s not easy to talk about CLIL as there are so many models. Besides, there are no recipes or how-to books (and there shouldn’t be either given the importance of context in CLIL methodology). As regards materials development, it´s not an easy task but by having teachers developing materials together for each specific context we can overcome the difficulty that international editions find when attempting to produce materials for a wide market. After all, we need to bear in mind that CLIL needs to somehow reflect the school curriculum. How can an international textbook reflect that given variables such as students’ age, cogntive level, language proficiency, school subjects, among others?
1. Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL) has become the umbrella term describing both learning another (content) subject such as physics or geography through the medium of a foreign language and learning a foreign language by studying a content-based subject. In ELT, forms of CLIL have previously been known as ‘Content-based instruction’, ‘English across the curriculum’ and ‘Bilingual education’. 2. CLIL’s advantages are:
* Introduce the wider cultural context
* Prepare for internationalisation
* Access International Certification and enhance the school profile
* Improve overall and specific language competence
* Prepare for future studies and / or working life
* Develop multilingual interests and attitudes
* Diversify methods & forms of classroom teaching and learning
* Increase learner motivation.
3. Absolutely, as your academic center does with the “Advanced Specialization Program” which offers the introduction to Management, Marketing and Tourism in English, mine is involved in the teaching of Legal English designed with the aim of expanding the range of topics and content and simultaneously prepare participants to take the Test of English for the International Legal Legal Inglés Certificate (ILEC) Cambridge, run by Catholic LANGUAGES. Regards,
2. Read the material and do some research on the net and suggest how CLIL can be used at your center. As I mentioned in the first question, most academic centers here in Lima offers courses in English e.g. English for professional success, English for the humanities, English for Health sciences, English for science and engineering, English for Business and so on, however these are ESP courses in most of the cases (3-4 months) which last for a short period of time in comparison to the CLIL courses which last the whole subject (3-5 years depending on the immersion of it).
Thus, in order to make the most out of CLIL we (the academic center I work for) have to take into account a myriad of factors, namely: teacher training, cognitive load, finding CLIL materials, teachers need to know how to exploit materials to the fullest otherwise CLIL will lack of effectiveness. In this state, It is a hardworking job to do which may take plenty of time. On the other hand, if we take a closer look at the top schools here in Lima e.g. “Franklin Delano Roosevelt school” which is an American school, we can see that a different reality appears. This Amercian school does not only provide students with content in English but also they focus on the development of the whole child as in inquirer through the PYP programs (Primary Years Program) Regards,
Colegio Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the American School of Lima, is an independent, International Baccalaureate World School, providing a college preparatory program in English for students from age 3 through grade 12. The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (PYP), for students ages 3-11, focuses on the development of the whole child as in inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside. Students in the 21st century are faced with the challenge of learning about an interconnected world where knowledge is constantly developing and changing. The PYP prepares students to be active participants in a lifelong journey of learning.
During grades 6-10, students progress through the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (MYP), which provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world and become critical and reflective thinkers. The overall philosophy of the programs is based on the concepts of intercultural awareness, holistic learning and communication.
MYP students are required to study two languages, humanities, sciences, mathematics, performing and visual arts, physical education and technology. Students in grades 11 and 12 register for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program (DP), the IB Certificate and/or the Official Peruvian Program. Students progress through a challenging curriculum that prepares them for university. Students are encouraged to ask challenging questions, develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture, develop the ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures, and to learn how to learn.
3. Share the useful links you have found in your research and tell the rest why you think the site is important.
Interesting and interactive games for children through CLIL tasks. It includes a teacher’s guide as well so that you are provided with a myriad of ideas to choose from.
Outstanding webpage which provides you with a wide variety of methodology tips and sources that you can take into account in your day to day classes.
A web page that you need to check out. Valuable information on CLIL taken from a different perspective hosted by Diane Pinkley
http://www.deltapublishing.co.uk/content/pdf/the-clil-resource-pack/CLIL_Contents.pdf interesting book
Subject: Academic degree,
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 27 November 2016
We will write a custom essay sample on CLIL Case Study
for only $16.38 $12.9/page