Chapter 2 Review Questions – Information Systems Essay
Chapter 2 Review Questions – Information Systems
1. When determining the appropriate hardware components of a new information system, what role must the user of the system play? a. People involved in selecting their organization´s computer hardware must clearly understand current and future business requirements so they can make informed acquisition decisions.
2. Identify two characteristics of RAM and ROM.
a. Random Access Memory is temporary and volatile. Read-Only-Memory is nonvolatile and permanent.
3. What is RFID technology? How does it work?
a. Radio Frequency Identification is a technology that employs a microchip with an antenna to broadcast its unique identifier and location to receivers. The purpose of the system is to transmit data by a mobile device, called a tag, which is read by an RFID reader and processed according to the needs of an information system program.
4. Identify the three components of the CPU and explain the role of each. a. The arithmetic/logic unit (ALU): The part of the CPU that performs the mathematical calculations and makes logical comparisons. b. Control Unit: The part of the CPU that sequentially accesses program instructions, decodes them, and coordinates the flow of data in and out of the ALU, the registers: the primary storage, and even secondary storage and various output devices. c. Register storage area: special, high-speed area within the CPU; temporary storage area. It works under the control of the control unit.
5. What is Solid State Storage technology? What advantages does it offer? a. A flash drive is an example of SS technologies. It stores data in memory chips rather than magnetic or optical media. b. Memory chips need less power and provide faster data access, and have only few moving parts, so that they are less fragile.