Pages 7 (1516 words)
Assignment #2 – Report
Durham Mental health services started their services in year 1987 and this is a not profitable organization. That provide their services to the individuals and families who are suffering from mental illness and who needs daily assistance in their Activities of Daily Living (ADL). They render their services throughout the Durham region.
This organization raises awareness among public regarding mental health illness, aid those people who are living with this discrimination, provide services for elderly people, and render services to the community.
Durham Mental health services is accredited by the Accreditation Canada. This organization is funded by the Central East Local Health Integration Network (CE -LHIN), the Ministry of Long -term health Care (MOLTH) and by Durham region department of social services (Durham Mental Health services – Home page 2019)
The purposes of the report are as listed below:
- Develop a proper channel of co mmunication to establish the outreach program with the other team members.
- To develop a full -fledged SWOT analysis, to make the outreach program successful.
- To know about the program more in detail, for determining its outcomes.
- To know earlier about the m erits and demerits of the program before its implementation strategy.
- To find out the alternative options for the barriers or obstructions that comes during the implementation strategy.
Seniors support program :
It is a holistic program that render their services to the individuals aged 55+
who need assistance in their daily routine work because they become unable to do their work. This program is run by a multi -disciplinary team, usually headed by a Nurse co -ord inator (Durham Mental Health services – Home page 2019)
- The individuals who needs a caregiver, to make them feel comfortable
- People who feels lonely
- Feeling depressed and anxious all the time
- People who are unable to do their daily routine tasks appropriately
The support services that are provided in the organization are as described below:
- Physical health support: In this, the care is given to the individuals who are suffering from the health problems that affect their bodies like diabetes, blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases etcetera.
- Counselling: In this, the counsellor gives counselling to the needy people who wants external support to sort out their issues of daily lives or the drug addicts who wants to leave that life – threatening habit to make their future bright.
- Diversional therapies support: Under this, the seniors are provided with the social support service, so as to divert their minds from the daily schedules and also recreational activities are also their like d ancing, singing etcetera t make their life more cherished.
- Personal support services within a particular time frame includes maintain their personal hygiene, assist them in dressing up, the seniors who are physically disabled support them in mobility etcet era (Durham Mental Health Services -Home page,2019)
- Nurse practitioners
- Social support worker
- Mental and behavioral health provider
- Physician assistants
- Alternative medical practitioners
- Nutritional specialists
For the successful completion of the program, the target is individuals aged 55+, who requires assistance for fulfilling their daily routine tasks completely. They have to focus not only on few people but on whole population. Their main aim is to prevent the onset of illness by helping the senior people to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
Legislations and regulations need to be considered:
PHIPA (Personal Health Information and Protection Act):
This act was established in year 2004.
This act explains the guidelines for the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information of an individual. This is to make the whole information of an individual confidential to avoid the case of privacy breech.
PIPEDA (The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act):
This act was implemented in year 2000. Under this, the people have the full authority to access their information at an ytime and ask any query related to the information provided in a particular document from the organization.
FIPPA (Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act):
Established in year 2018 . This act explains that the individual has the right to acces s the information from the organization and to protect the privacy of the individuals, so that there are reduced chances of breech.
The Privacy Act:
This act is established by the Federal government and it describes how an institution can collect, use and disclose the personal information of a person and when a person wants, he can access his information and also make corrections in that.
STRENGTHS WEAKNESS OPPORTUNITIES THREATS
- Raises the capacity building by fostering the knowledge among public that will make the program successful.
- Appropriate time management for those who are volunteering especially the students will be a weakness in this program for delivering adequate services to the public.
- More emphatic and easily approachable services will be provided to the elderly people.
- If the organization’s budgetary outlay got disturbed due to some crisis, then it will become risky for the program administrators to run it continuously.
- Helps in making appropriate decisions that will help the healthcare team for rendering services to the elder age group. Gender problem like if the volunteer is a female, she has to look after her children also, so she can spend less time on promoting health, this will have a negative impact on the program.
- A more supportive,empathetic and caring development of the professionals will be created that will look after the needs of the seniors.
- If the strategy of the program is not planned carefully(some error persists), then it will disturb the whole process.
- Proves to be beneficial in knowing about the needs and alternatives for a problem among the seniors leads to multi -sectoral collaboration(Hyunh,T.M.,2019)
- External factors like money and the utility of activities in a particular geographical area can disturb the level of involvement of people(StatisticsCanada, 2015)
- The volunteers will get a fair opportunity to practice in healthcare setting, will be trained and additionaly knows how to work in collaborative manner as a team (DurhamMental Healthservices, 2019)
- If there is inadequate knowledge about the outreach program, within the locality where the services are provided, this will hamper the whole agenda (McKinsey& Company, 2001)
- Strategy: In this some pre -planned actions and planning is to be done to implement the program successfully like complete description of the program.
- Identifying the stakeholders: In this we will recognize the internal stakeholders (social worker, staff) and the external stakeholders (non -profitable organizations).
- Description of the whole setting : In this one will get to know about the complete area where the program is to be conducted. If it is external location, then the location should be complete secured and if internal then proper venue description, date and time and proper demographical description of the locality.
- Raising funding: In this, the financial assistance is required so one can take help of the stakeholders for the successful implementation of the program. Then after it divide the whole budgetary outlay wisely so that all the required possessions are there in the program.
- Identify the success factors: The success factors will help in the successful completion of the project. This can be done by matrix tracking.
- Capacity building: Under this, the services are delivered. This can be done by increasing awareness among the public that will ultimately leads to increment in the members.
- Review: In this last step, we will monitor the whole process and share the whole result with other members (Bissoondial, 2019).
Recommendation 1: Before initiating the program, discuss with the whole healthcare team and the stakeholders about the program’s guidelines so that each and every person feel confident about the outreach program, to make a strong professional bonding between each other and to develop a feeling of mutual trust between the whole team.
Recommendation 2: Before the imple menting strategy, completely know about the people who are living in that geographical area to make inter -personal communication bonding better. The healthcare team should know that what kind of ailments are present in that location so that they can be properly trained to make their services more efficient and cost -effective.
Recommendation 3: During the action phase, some of the healthcare personnel should visit the whole area and see that all community people are getting those services or not. If some el derly clients who can not go to that place, personally visit them and according to the situation give remedial action for that.
After the completion of the whole program, evaluate that area so as to know to what extent the program is successful? If there are some limitations work on that for the accomplishment of the task.
- Bissoondial, R. (2019). INFO 6064 FOL. Retrieved on Feb 6, 2019 from Bissoondial, R. (2019).
- INFO 6064 FOL. Retrieved on Feb 6, 2019 from Durham Mental Heal th Services (2019).
- Annual report 2017 -2018. Retrieved Feb 6,2019 from -content/uploads/2018/09/ANNUAL -REPORT2017 -2018 -1.pdf
- Hyunh, T.M. (2014). Population Health and Health Care·(CIHI). Re trieved from
- McKinsey & Company, (2001). Effective Capacity Building in Nonprofit Organizations. Retrieved from le/content/916639/viewContent/6610977/View
- Statistics Canada (2015). Social participation and the health and well being of Canadian seniors. Retrieved on Feb 6, 2019 from -003 -x/2012004/article/11720 -eng. htm