Assessment and Learner Essay
Assessment and Learner
* It is important to understand and identify any particular needs the learner may have so they are able to learn to the best of their ability and get the most out of the qualification. Ensuring they receive the best quality learning can help them achieve their best. * Keeping track of what the learner has learnt is important so there is no repetition and they are learning new topics all the time. This will also contribute to how well the learner takes on new information and what they get from that. * Summative assessment is important to make sure the learner understands what is being taught and they understand any learning outcomes.
1. 2 * Assessments used as a process of making judgements are very important as they help us measure where the learner is at in a number of different ways. These can help us as assessors ensure out learners are learning at the right stage and to the right criteria. * Validity – the state or quality of being valid. To question the validity of the argument. (dictionary. com) it can also mean – Validity in assessment refers to measuring what it says it is measuring, be it knowledge, understanding, subject content, skills, information, behaviours, etc.
(http://www. saqa.org. za/docs/critguide/assessment/ch03. pdf) * Reliability – the ability to be relied on or depended on as for accuracy, honesty or achievement. (dictionary. com) it can also mean – Reliability in assessment is about consistency. Consistency refers to the same judgements being made in the same, or similar contexts each time a particular assessment for specified stated intentions is administered. (http://www. saqa. org. za/docs/critguide/assessment/ch03. pdf) * Having the learner gather evidence can help in the decision making for the assessor in many different ways.
One of which is to ensure the learner is doing the work and is kept up to date. * Evidence being authentic, current and sufficient is important for the learner to get the best from the course and to ensure they are completing their own work and it is up to date with the relevant qualification. * It is important for everyone to get an equal chance of getting an objective and accurate assessment. This can help both the assessor and learner as they can be sure to promote fairness and objectiveness. * The importance of transparency for the learner. 1. 3.
* Understanding and applying the standards and requirements is important as these are in place for the assessor and learner to gain the most from the qualification and to give them piece of mind that they are receiving the best education. * Planning ahead is important as understanding what stage the learner is at can help to prepare for the next meeting. This can also help the learner prepare too. * Communication of every aspect of the qualification is important as it can help the assessor and learner keeps track of progress and where they need to go next.
* Carrying out assessments is important to keep track of the learner’s progress and to keep on track of how they are performing. This can also identify any needs/requirements the learner may have. * Comparing evidence can help to ensure the learner is meeting the set standards and also to ensure the set standards are of the best quality. * Making assessment decisions can help the learner move onto the next task or meet any needs the learner may have. * Recording assessments is important as it can help other verifiers check that the assessor is delivering the correct standards to the learner.
* Providing feedback can help the learner understand what worked, what didn’t, where can they do better and how can they do that. 1. 4 * The general requirements for assessment’s need to be identified and acknowledged. This can be done by simple research and reading. * Understanding which documents and where to find them is important as these must be adhered to. This is also important for the assessor as they need to know how and what to asses. 2. 1 * Understanding different types of assessment methods is highly important. These assessment methods give you a wide range of results when looking at students and their work.
Comparing these and discussing their pro’s and cons is also important to find out what is best for your particular student and what they are particularly studying. 3. 1 * Understanding how to plan an assessment can be easily done with the right amount of preparation. Ensuring you have all the right resources and equipment beforehand will help you and your student feel at ease. You must summarise key factors when planning to make sure you get the correct outcome. Some of the factors to include are which standards and criteria to look at, type and volume of evidence, choice of particular assessment method amongst others.
Using this simple planning and preparation technique will give you and your student the best outcome. 3. 2 * Using a holistic approach can help you and your student get the most efficient and effective collection of evidence. This evidence may also be used in other units or work. Identifying how the learner integrates their knowledge and understanding is important as it helps you see how they put their research into practice and what they learn from it. All of the above can help your student get the most out of their particular qualification. 3. 3.
* Applying holistic assessment is important as you need a variety of required evidence to ensure your outcomes are met. This is important when you are planning an assessment so you can get the correct information to make sure the student is learning and practicing the right knowledge and understanding. Holistic assessment is used to judge the overall picture in the assessment practice. Historically NVQ assessments where carried out unit by unit . An Holistic assessment is more efficient because an assessor can capture multiple criteria outcomes and not just focus on one element .
3. 4 * There are many risks involved when thinking about doing an assessment. These must be looked at to ensure the assessment runs smoothly. Some of these risks include; Health and Safety, unnecessary stress on the learner and potential for unfairness to the learner amongst others. These must be avoided to ensure the learner gets a fair assessment and the assessor gets the right results. If these are not adhered to the learner may feel uncomfortable and the assessment will not be accurate. 3. 5 * Minimizing risks must be thought about while planning the assessment.
How to do this can be done by visiting where the assessment will take place, speaking to the learner and the employer. 4. 1 * Involving others in assessments can help both the learner and the assessor. This can help in a number of ways including; putting knowledge into practice; the learner can show how their reading and research can be used in practice. The learner can also show how they understand what they are being assessed on and how they understand the criteria is marked. 4. 2 * Any information and resources should be available to the learner to help them understand what is of expected of them and how the assessor should behave.
This will also help the learner understand the criteria that will be looked at, any arrangements that need to be made, how feedback will be given and the use of any assessment outcomes and records. These being available to the learner can help them prepare for the assessment and perform to the best of their ability. 4. 3 * Peer and self-assessment can be used to help the learner look at what they have done, what worked, what didn’t, what can they do to improve and how they can improve it. This is a very useful tool as learners are most critical of themselves. Learners can also learn from each other and what they do.
4. 4 * Meeting needs is highly important to ensure learners are all treated fairly. Any arrangements can be made easily by contacting the employer or speaking with the learner beforehand. 5. 1 * Making assessment decisions is very important. Understanding them is even more important as there are factors about the learners work that need to be assessed and the assessor needs to make sure the work is true. Making sure the learners work is valid, current, authentic and sufficient can be done by ensuring you follow guidelines given, by carrying out assessments and by having witness statements of the work carried out.
5. 2 * making sure any assessment decisions made are fair, reliable, valid and in accordance with specified criteria is important so the assessor and learner understands what is expected of them and that they are doing the right things. 6. 1 * Standardisation meeting – Ensure consistency and fair assessment. To maintain quality of assessment procedure To ensure assessors are consistent To gain up to date knowledge of quality and what is new in assessment Unit 302 6. 3.
* If a learner has a dispute with your assessment decision, they have a right to appeal against that decision and you need to let your learner know the name of the Centre Co-Coordinator Stacey Prendergrast 7. 1 * Assessment Data will be stored on NLA data base and learner assessment plans will be on going throughout the qualification 7. 2 * Assessment plans with each learner, praise and feedback when a learner has achieved a unit and it gives your learner motivation 8. 1 * This is related to data protection and securing learners details which are all in place at NLA, like data of birth , national insurance numbers etc 8.
2 * Include how current technology benefits the assessment process ie carrying out a professional discussion and recording it on mp3 validates the assessment or video evidence captures live observations 8. 3 * How can you manage equality in assessment and what barriers might you come across with race, culture religion 8. 4 * It is best practice to reflect on your own assessment process, what have you learned so far through your research, what you would like to introduce, tell me about your appraisal and your professional development.
Subject: Educational psychology,
University/College: University of California
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 25 September 2016
Let us write you a custom essay sample on Assessment and Learner
for only $16.38 $13.9/page