Ancient Rome Essay
• It is not acceptable to simply say “the two civilizations were similar and different” – specify specifically how they are similar and different • Possible Prompt: Analyze similarities and differences in techniques of imperial administration in TWO of the following empires. – Han China (206 B. C. E. –220 C. E. ) – Mauryan/Gupta India (320 B. C. E. –550 C. E. ) – Imperial Rome (31 B. C. E. –476 C. E. )Example • The political system of Han China is similar to the Guptan Empire in that both included strict laws and stressed the importance of your role in society.
A major difference between these administrations is that in Han China the king was fully in charge, even revered, while in the Mauryan/Guptan Empire priests were at the top of the hierarchy. Example • The imperial administration of Han China and Imperial Rome were similar because they were both headed by an emperor. However, they differed in their treatment of the emperor. In Han China a ruler’s decisions, if detrimental to society, could be questioned. While in Rome, what the emperor decreed could not be questioned. What do I need for my thesis?
• You must address 1 specific similarity and 1 specific difference. • i. e. Both the Empires of China and Rome were ruled by an emperor who maintained imperial control, however, the Chinese instituted a system of scholar bureaucrats that gained their position through merit, while the Romans never achieved such an elaborate bureaucracy. What is a direct comparison? • This is a comparison that is not split between paragraphs or by other sentences. It must be one or two sentences that compare one subject of the comparison to another.
• Your comparisons should be supported by evidence to support your statement. Example Direct Comparison: While both the Roman and Han (or Gupta) Empires left behind many achievements, the Han (or Gupta) were much more technologically and culturally creative. Evidence: – The Romans took much of their culture from the Greeks, such as their religion, artwork and architecture. – While the Romans had aqueducts, roads and other great works, much of this was taken from others and improved upon. The Gupta on the other hand came up with the concept of zero and a base 10 number system that is still in use today.
– The Romans relied on slavery for their source of labor, while the Chinese relied upon free peasants. This led to technological stagnation on the part of the Romans, while the Chinese were able to (insert pieces of specific evidence here). What is analysis? • This is where you explain why. • You tell the reader what caused this similarity or difference to occur. • This is usually a because sentence and the most difficult part of the comparison essay.
• The reason that the Guptan bureaucracy was never as elaborate as that of the Chinese was because…. View as multi-pages TOPICS IN THIS DOCUMENT China, Difference, Ancient Rome, Han Chinese, Qing Dynasty, Similarity, Roman Empire, Imperial examination RELATED DOCUMENTS China Essay … From 1403 to about 1492 China participated in numerous voyages led by Zheng He, the leader of their maritime operations, including the visiting of 37 countries and traveling through the Atlantic Ocean around the tip of Africa and beyond Europe (pg 202). Countries such as Ceylon, India, and the Persian Gulf were a few of their stops along the way.
These voyages proved that China was the supreme world sea power whose shipbuilding techniques and navigational… 471 Words | 3 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT Rome vs. Han China Research Paper … Han China Vs. Imperial Rome The Han Dynasty and Imperial Rome were both large and powerful empires that existed during the Classical Period. The Han Dynasty and Imperial Rome had some major similarities as well as differences. The Han Dynasty had a similar government system as Imperial Rome, the empires’ governments made the same mistakes that led to similar declines; however the government’s involvement and view on…
471 Words | 3 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT Athens vs Han China Dbq Essay … 10/17/12 DBQ Athens vs Han China In the 5th century BCE Sparta and Athens constantly battled for 27 years for the number one spot in Greece. Despite being at war for such a long time, Athens made their culture most memorable in our world’s history. Athens, located in Attica was rather small surprisingly, smaller then Rhode Island. Athens was known for it’s talent; like we know today, Pericles, Plato, Socrates and more. While Athens Greece was prospering,…
471 Words | 3 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT Religion in China Essay … Chapter 12 of gamer deals solely with the topic of religion in China. Right away it is told that the Chinese do not worship any one god, diety, or force. They are very spiritual but have no set predominant religion that most people worship. The Chinese culture can be said to be a mix between polytheistic, pantheistic, and atheistic. In the past some sinologists and sociologists such as Jan De Groot and C. K. Yang have sought to fully understand China’s religious position and…
471 Words | 3 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT Essay about Introduction to China …? Introduction to China Cheng Ho Cheng Ho Cheng Ho (1371 – 1433) was a eunuch in the service of the Ming emperor Yung-lo and commander in chief of the Chinese expeditionary fleet to the South Seas in the early years of the 15th century. Born into a family named Ma, presumably of Mongol-Arab origin, in central Yunnan Province, Cheng Ho was selected to be… 471 Words | 5 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT Mcdonald s in China Essay … McDonald’s: Is China Lovin’ it?
Executive Summary This case studies McDonald’s’ business model as it develops to achieve success in the Chinese market. Issues addressed included how to retain McDonald’s’ image of cultural Americana, yet adapt to satisfy pallets and appeal to patrons in Chinese culture. 1. What is the purpose of conducting an external environmental analysis? What are the general environmental forces that could influence or have influenced McDonald’s… 471 Words | 6 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT China and Japan Essay …
China and Japan From 1500 to 1800, China and Japan tried to politically and economically established their countries in very different ways. Japan fought war after war for a century before they changed their ways. China on the other hand slowly established a government and used education as a tool to be politically and economically strong. Japan would later do the same. China was one of the most politically and economically strong… 471 Words | 3 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT China Doll Essay … may be looking to China to ‘contract manufacture’ for them as the price there were very competitive.
HCF is not match to China growing economy and this new development will definitely cause the downfall of HCF. Jeffrey had garnered the assistance of his senior management team to brainstorm on possible options HCF can look at. Although acknowledging that looking into China is in inevitable, the team was divided in the approach to be taken. First… 471 Words | 4 Pages READ FULL DOCUMENT CITE THIS DOCUMENT APA (2012, 11). Han China. StudyMode. com. Retrieved 11, 2012, from http://www. studymode. com/essays/Han-China-1218267. html MLA MLA 7 CHICAGO.
University/College: University of Arkansas System
Type of paper: Thesis/Dissertation Chapter
Date: 1 January 2017
We will write a custom essay sample on Ancient Rome
for only $16.38 $12.9/page