Comparison of typical vs Population diet AMDRs: Healthy people can consume any kind of food, but diabetes individuals should eat a specific diet which help them to stabilize their sugar levels. AMDRs recommended % for healthy people are 55% carbohydrates,15% protein, and 30% fat, however people with diabetics have different AMDRs requirements. A low carbohydrate diet helps people with diabetes to maintain their sugar levels because carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels faster. Similarly, protein and fat requirements for diabetes individuals also different from people who are without any disease.
They should consume meals that are rich in nutrients and low in fat and calories.
How to obtain optimal health
Balance diet: For good health people should eat healthy food. Individuals with diabetes should know about how their diet affect their sugar levels.
According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA) they should include fruits and vegetables, lean protein, try to eat only food without added sugar, and avoid trans-fats.
Diabetes people should consume fewer carbohydrates because the body converts carbs to glucose, therefore eating carbs raise blood sugar levels but this not mean diabetes individuals should totally avoid carbs because carbohydrates are an essential part of a healthy diet, Carbs in food such as whole grains, beans, fruits are a great source of health benefits. They should consume more protein but choose protein wisely because it comes with too much-saturated fat, which is responsible for other diseases. Fat is a great source of calories which is more than calories in carbs and protein, therefore eating more fat leads to more calories than body needs which can affect diabetes negatively. Individuals with diabetes need low fat dairy and healthy vegetable-based fats.
What should eat
- Healthy Carbohydrates: Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, Legumes such as beans and peas and low-fat dairy products etc.
- Good fats: Avocados, Nuts, seeds Canola, peanut oils and low fat dairy etc.
- Protein: lean meat, fish eggs, nuts and peanuts
What should not eat
- Fried food or over-processed food
- Fast food
- Food with artificial sugar
Exercise: physical activities help in controlling diabetes because when people do exercise their muscles use glucose for energy, therefore, it is one of the best ways to balance sugar levels in blood. Regular exercise helps diabetics patients to use insulin more efficiently. (staff)Medication: Diet and exercise not only sufficient for managing diabetes. Diabetes patients need treatment to lower blood sugar levels. Medicine corrects dosage and helps in balance the sugar levels. Patients’ needs regular check-up because sometimes no longer need for that drugs may be recommended alternative. (staff)
Replacement food Options
- Eat fruit instead of drinking fruit juice: Fruits are good source of fibre, but you can get benefits if you eat whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice because juices have only sugar of the fruit not the skin and pulp, therefore juices do not help in sugar absorption, but if you eat fruit with pulp it helps in faster sugar absorption and control insulin levels. Therefore, eating fruits is a better option for handle diabetes. (Athena Phills-Tsimikas)
- Replace white rice with Brown rice. White rice has a more glycemic index than brown rice they rise blood sugar levels steadily. Brown rice rich with fiber, minerals, vitamins and they do not increase blood sugar levels. Fiber in brown rice slowing the rush of glucose in the bloodstream therefore brown is much better than white rice for diabetes patients.
- Replace Boxed cereal with pinhead oats. Cereals are produced from refined grains therefore cereals are low in fiber and higher in sugar. Pinhead oats are higher in fiber, therefore they capable of decreasing the rise of insulin. (Athena Phills-Tsimikas)
- Eat brown bread rather than white bread because white bread is made from highly processed white flour and added sugar. Processed foods are easily digested and absorbed faster so this can raise blood sugar levels. Brown bread is high in fibre and lower in sugar. Therefore, brown bread is a better option for diabetes patients.
Health-related consequences of lack of diet adjustment
- Kidney damage: Diabetes have a bad impact on kidneys. Diabetes damages kidneys and affects their ability to filter the waste product from blood.
- High blood pressure: Diabetes increases the threat of developing excessive blood pressure, which puts in addition to pressure on the heart. Excessive blood glucose levels can make a contribution to the formation of fatty deposits in blood vessel walls. With time it can limit the flow of blood and increase the risk of hardening of the blood vessels.
- Eyesight: Diabetes harm the blood vessels of the retina, probably resulting in visual defects4. Skin infections: Diabetes is responsible for all kinds of skin problems such as fungal infection and bacterial infection.
- Hearing loss: Diabetes damage the small blood vessels nerves in the inner ear which leads to hearing loss.
- Tooth disease: National institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases (Alan Katz)describes When diabetes is not controlled, high sugar in saliva grow harmful bacteria, which cause dental and gum problems.
- Nerve Damage: National institute of diabetes and digestive and kidney diseases (Alan Katz) describes that untreated diabetes is responsible for many nerve diseases. Normally nerve damage occurs in hands and feet, it is responsible for reduced sensation, numbness, and pain in that areas.
Cite this essay
AMDR – Macronutrient Range & Recommendations. (2020, Sep 15). Retrieved from https://studymoose.com/amdr-macronutrient-range-recommendations-essay